I've been tracking Diptrace from version 0.3, all the major functions in it work, but the interface is downright horrid, although better than most, still not as good as Sprint Layout (its the king, learn from it).
There is a huge load of lame interface solutions and it just drags on and on from version to version.
1) Fix the goddamn search, first thing first, top of the priority, NOW.
2) Scroll with mouse wheel here.
3) Default rotation is clockwise. Shift CTRL + R is counterclockwise.
4) Bigger windows with less clicking around, its 2011 and 800x600 isn't the default resolution, though I'm not saying it shouldn't be supported.
5) WTF is with the type and value ?
Why is that value for LM317 is blank (or any other IC) but its type is its value, but for any resistor it is just RES ?
Much more logical layout would be:
Type - what ever it is, U, R, IC, resistor_network, voltage_regulator
resdef - leave it as it is, works just fine.
Value - 10k, or LM317 or what ever it is
Additional field - to be used for something like order code, like LM317-EMP-NoPB, those get hairy real quick, so lets just leave it hidden.
Comment field - to be used for something like 'See farnell catalog'
Creating any additional fields is optional, but the following 5 are mandatory, and displayed every time I open component properties, its the thing any designer always works with.
Default display for any component goes as following
1) Its ResDef - R1 or IC1 or U1
2) Its Value - LM317AH
Any other fields should be optional.
About moving these around in the schematic capture - click once(red arrow), its selected, click second time(blue arrow), it becomes movable, instead of pressing F10.
Also, this should be done in the single window, and there should be a button - Edit this components' schematic pattern and the land pattern, not just library search, and yeah, fix that too, also the list box should have primitive search too, instead of only searching by the first letter - ie if I type 'TO' quickly it should stand on first component starting with 'TO', if I type it slowly - it first goes to the component which starts with T and then the one that starts with 'O'.
6) When I scroll my mouse in the blue field, it zooms around, but when I scroll my mouse in the red field it should automatically scroll the component list
7) When wiring things - double click on empty space should start a new wire, right click should do the same as enter - ie finish the line, delete or backspace should undo the last segment.
8) Net editor - double click on the units (blue circle, and elsewhere in the program) to change them, some times I want mils, sometimes mm, sometimes inches, saves time converting units, or running around menus, changing settings.
Why do we need red buttons at all - double click on items in the list - item gets inserted, click on the other list, item gets removed.
9) Component creator - why do I need additional layers while placing lines and whatnot?
10) Pin Editor - place a little image (in the blue circle) near the type, for a quick reference.
Instead of dropdown list use a simple list with a bigger window, now setting types and electrical designations will take 2 clicks instead of 4.
11) Why can't I edit the text I've typed in the editor ?
12) Can we have a normal footprint and component wizards ? Hint hint - the one in the Sprint Layout is really really good.
13) Can we have a duplicate button ? Select, press CTRL + D - bam, same component.
More to come, there are loads of this small stuff.
Comments are welcome.
-- 26 Aug 2011, 08:57 --
Can we have UTF ? Sometimes people need to prepare documents in 3 different languages, so flipping code pages everytime is not an option.
Single window yet again, less clicking around
Can we have more buttons here ? Like the one that sets/removes ALL the borders, clicking 4 times for a single box gets annoying real quick.
Clicking at node with a blue arrow starts wiring automatically, whilst clicking on the one with red circle doesn't.
Depending on the drawing order I can drag only the node in the red, but not the ones in the blue, though I can drag the ones in the blue and the whole line gets dragged, but if I try to drag up, it only allows to drag the segment in the red. Can we have that dragging any segment drags the whole straight line, but dragging with shift drags only a single segment ?