Better component/pattern interoperability

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
VEC7OR
Expert

Better component/pattern interoperability

#1 Post by VEC7OR » 30 Jan 2012, 21:57

You can see my previous suggestions here (someone bump that one, and comment)

I humbly request better interoperability with parts and patterns:

1) open pattern for editing from PCB layout - upon clicking Pattern Editor should start, open the library with the component and select it for editing, and refresh it upon saving
2) open component for editing from Schematics - upon clicking Component Editor should start, open the library with the component and select it for editing and refresh it upon saving
2) sorting for library components
3) ability to insert or remove components and patterns from library to another library, like get pattern from another library (quirky way to do this - open sch, drag it to sch, select the library you want to insert it to, save to library)
4) start drawing a pattern/component - upon saving add it to any library, not just save the library itself

Once again - unified interface for editing lines/circles/arcs
Once again - more layers for mechanical work

A nice thing would be a better facility for gerber exports - something like a manager that allows with a single click to export checked gerbers, as some layers are unused, this leads to some confusion, some get missed, etc.
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Better component/pattern interoperability

#2 Post by Alex » 31 Jan 2012, 02:53

1 and 2. These are good ideas, but what will happen if edited pattern is used in different components? I see potential issues there.
2. We have alphabetical sorting in libraries at the moment. Sorting by functionality is in our plans.
3. Already implemented. Right click on a pattern (component) in the list of patterns (components) on the left side of Pattern (Component) editor and select delete/ insert/ duplicate/etc..
4. We will consider it.
Editing shapes may be polished in future.
Custom mechanical layers are currently in developing. They will be added in the next version.
A manager for gerber export is in our feature list.

VEC7OR
Expert

#3 Post by VEC7OR » 31 Jan 2012, 22:08

You can always add an option to update the current component, or update the library or save a duplicate of a component.
As I understand it now - the schematic file has the components together with footprints.

The reason I'm asking for these is that its easier and faster to create your own components, than whine on the forums.

Oh and what about type/value/resdef, shouldn't all components have just value ?
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 01 Feb 2012, 03:02

Different options may complicate user interface. However we will consider the suggestion.

Type is required, refdes is suggested, value is not necessary but may be entered in component editor.