New to PCB

DIY Projects and Methodologies, Hobby Circuits, Circuit Samples
bluejames

New to PCB

#1 Post by bluejames » 18 Jun 2013, 03:16

Hello all I would like to ask some questions about Making my own PCB'S

I have on order parts for a light box also some PCB developing bits

Sodium Metasilicate for developing my boards and some Ferric Chloride to etch my boards
but this is not what my post is about.
I have a large CNC machine that I would like to try and use to make some PCB but I have tried and failed three or four times.
I'm sure it's just the set up of trace sizes that is stopping me from making/cutting out my own pcb boards.I'm intrested if any one has any good tip on settings and setting up my CNC for cutting and drilling out my boards

The cutter I'm using for cutting out my traces is a Carbide PCB Engraving Bit CNC Router Tool 25° 0.1mm and a .80 center drill but never used it as I've never cut a board yet I could use. I also have some .80 carbide drill bits for the CNC machine but again never use.

I'm making a VAC bead for my CNC machine as we speak.

would you say it's better to etch a pcb board ?? or cut it out

hope fully some one can help
James

grieblm

Re: New to PCB

#2 Post by grieblm » 01 Jan 2014, 01:10

bluejames wrote:
would you say it's better to etch a pcb board ?? or cut it out

hope fully some one can help
James
Probably hate to hear this but it only costs about $10 (plus shipping) to get ten prototype PCBs (5 x 5 cm).
The etching solutions/developer etc. probably cost more than this.

GSnyder

#3 Post by GSnyder » 15 Jul 2014, 08:25

I would strongly suggest checking out OSH Park, SeeedStudio, or some similar service appropriate for your geographic region for PCB prototyping. The boards are dirt cheap (in the case of OSH Park, $5/square inch for 3 copies), plus you get production-quality boards with silkscreen and solder mask on both sides, which is hard to emulate at home. The only downside is that it takes two weeks to get your board.

Techno Tronix

#4 Post by Techno Tronix » 16 Jul 2016, 00:02

Also you can try with FreePCB, ExpressPCB, Eagle and more.

jackluter

#5 Post by jackluter » 19 Jul 2016, 20:37

I think so the technique as mention is difficult to perform due to some risk.Hopefully are there any other methods.

AbdulRaheem

#6 Post by AbdulRaheem » 31 Mar 2017, 21:10

First you need to design the board using a service like Eagle, Fritzing or you can even just use Adobe Illustrator if you know exactly what you want. And remember to flip the design once you have it complete before you print it out.

Max_DT

#7 Post by Max_DT » 26 Apr 2017, 04:59

I have a lot of practice with homemade PCB with DipTrace. Even I made my own UV exposure unit.

Now I only order PCB's to China. For 16$ shipping included I don't mess with liquids and drills and dremel anymore.
And very important, it's near to impossible to homemade the plated drills, such as vias.