Castlellated PCB Pattern

Post your circuits and ideas here
KevinA

Castlellated PCB Pattern

#1 Post by KevinA » 16 Mar 2019, 11:47

I had an idea this morning that I could use the pattern editor to make a pattern that could be placed on a PCB allowing the PCB to be casltellated. Start with square shape thru hole pad, set one on top the other, number one pad blank, nothing in the pad number. Copy both pads and space them, repeat. When one line is done, copy, paste and flip, set center to center row the width of the PCB needed centered on the blank holes or holes without numbers. Renumber the the pads with numbers and save the pattern, you will get an error about pin . being the same. In my example I used 32 pins, in component editor build a 32 pin component and attach the pattern, no errors. In schematic editor place the component and hook it up, in PCB editor drag the pattern so that the blank pads are centered on the border outline.
Pattern
Pattern
cas4.jpg (103.44 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
component
component
cas3.jpg (66.09 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
PCB
PCB
cas1.jpg (152.4 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
DipTrace, PLEASE add the ability to place VIA's in pattern editor and Copy Array and Offset Pads!

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Castlellated PCB Pattern

#2 Post by Alex » 18 Mar 2019, 03:21

We have considered vias in Pattern Editor but don't plan it for the nearest version. You can use through-pads instead vias right now.
For pad offset you can use polygonal pads. Pad hole is always in 0,0 point, but you can edit polygonal pad points to get off-center pad.

SoundMod

#3 Post by SoundMod » 09 Apr 2019, 01:40

Alex wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 03:21 We have considered vias in Pattern Editor but don't plan it for the nearest version. You can use through-pads instead vias right now.
For pad offset you can use polygonal pads. Pad hole is always in 0,0 point, but you can edit polygonal pad points to get off-center pad.
I'm not sure if I understand. Could you post a simple example of your explanation.

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 09 Apr 2019, 11:55

"Pad hole is always in 0,0 point, but you can edit polygonal pad points to get off-center pad. "
Start with a polygon pad
polygon with hole
polygon with hole
pgstart.jpg (152.08 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Edit the points
Edit each X,Y point set to off-set the hole
Edit each X,Y point set to off-set the hole
pgedit.jpg (146.3 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Save and place the pad then renumber.
I don't know what DRC will do with pads in the PCB boarder, have to try it.