Some part disappear from the PCB layout

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
MickPF

Some part disappear from the PCB layout

#1 Post by MickPF » 12 Oct 2021, 22:10

Hello,

I use Diptrace version 4.1.3.1 with Windows.

I created a circuit schematic, created a PCB layout from it and added some purely mechanical parts as packages to the layout (drill holes etc.).

Every time I change something in the schematic and update the PCB layout, some of these parts disappear from the layout. This is very annoying.

Is there any way I can prevent these parts from disappearing?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Nobody is perfect

Tomg
Expert

Re: Some part disappear from the PCB layout

#2 Post by Tomg » 13 Oct 2021, 00:45

If you have added a part to the PCB, but not the schematic, and it has a reference designator, DipTrace will see it as a component. Any component on the PCB that is not present in the schematic will be removed during the "Renew Layout from Schematic" process. I am aware of two methods that can be used to prevent this from happening to such a component...

* Lock the component by right-clicking on it (not its pads) and choosing "Lock Selected" in the context menu. When the message "The layout includes locked components. Do you want to update them too?" appears during the renewal process, click on the "[No]" button.

...or...

* Ungroup the component by right-clicking on it (not its pads) and choosing "Ungroup Component" in the context menu. This will prevent DipTrace from recognizing it as a component and it shouldn't disappear during the renewal process. Please note that, since it is no longer a component, it will not be listed in the BOM nor will it have a reference designator.
Tom