Schematic: Route Bus Ports over different hierarchical blocks

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
LeFish

Schematic: Route Bus Ports over different hierarchical blocks

#1 Post by LeFish » 30 Jan 2023, 00:55

Hi there,

it would be neat if we could route the same bus connector over multiple hierarchical blocks.

In my case, this is how I would use this feature:
I have a lot of 1-to-1 connectors, which I need to route over multiple hierarchical blocks i.e. for level shifting.
Right now I need to place one input and 1 output for each single signal. If I have 8 signals this means 8 input and 8 output hierarchical connectors.

It would be neat to use the bus connector to connect two hierarchical blocks and then split the signals on block level.

This would tidy up the schematic a lot!

A quick example:
https://i.paste.pics/6ec551691cc048b18a ... 3fb901.png

Here, the signals could be split even one level down, and only one bus connector is routed through. The signals could be split on the lowest level possible were no hierarchical block is added any more.

Alternatively or maybe even additionally we could use "global busses" just like global nets. The information of a bus (contained nets) would then be usable globally within the whole project. One could then use this to define multiple bus clients on multiple hierarchical blocks without even connecting them by wire. The connection is simply defined by the bus existing on the block sheets.

Additionally this feature can be used to draw simple wiring harness schemes when one cable carries multiple signals... So this would expand Diptraces Scope widely!

Thanks!

Best regards
LeFish
Last edited by LeFish on 30 Jan 2023, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

LeFish

Re: Schematic: Router Bus Ports over different hierarchical blocks

#2 Post by LeFish » 30 Jan 2023, 20:15

HI there,

I have just found another thread about this feature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10725&start=10#p29519

Sorry, for cross-posting, but appearantly there are multiple persons needing this feature.

Best regards
LeFish