How do I set up a Master PCB used for multiple schematics?

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
Weedj123

How do I set up a Master PCB used for multiple schematics?

#1 Post by Weedj123 » 15 Oct 2015, 02:58

Our company uses a Master PCB that is linked to many different schematics.
The master PCB doesn't change. Parts are loaded according to the schematic that you choose to use.
These were all done by hand, Tape and Mylar.
How do I set this up using DipTrace?

Serg
Technical Support

Re: How do I set up a Master PCB used for multiple schematic

#2 Post by Serg » 16 Oct 2015, 02:11

DipTrace imports the next file formats:
1. DipTrace ASCII - DipTrace text data format.
2. Netlist - import / export of different netlist formats.
3. Autorouter DSN and Autorouter SES - file formats which allows to use Electra/Specctra autorouters.
4. Gerber RS-274X - export / import in PCB Layout.
5. N/C Drill - export and import in PCB Layout module.
6. Mach 2/3 Drill G-code - export from PCB Layout.
7. DXF - export from PCB Layout and Schematic / import to PCB Layout and Pattern Editor.
8. Pick and Place - export from PCB Layout.
9. P-CAD ASCII - export/import in PCB Layout and Schematic, import in Component and Pattern editors.
10. P-CAD PDIF - import in PCB Layout and Schematic.
11. PADS ASCII - export/import in PCB Layout, import in Schematic, Component and Patterns editors.
12. OrCAD MIN Interchange - export/import in PCB Layout.
13. OrCAD EDIF Schematic - import in Schematic.
14. EAGLE - import in all programs (via ULP and script files, available in "DipTrace / Utils" folder).
15. BSDL - import in Component Editor.
16. IGES - import 3D models in PCB Layout and Pattern Editor.
17. STEP - export from PCB Layout, import in Pattern Editor (3D models).
18. VRML 2.0 - export from PCB Layout, import in Pattern Editor (3D models).

To import in DipTrace you need to get the files in these formats.

Serg Luts
DipTrace Team

Weedj123

#3 Post by Weedj123 » 16 Oct 2015, 04:48

Weedj123 wrote:Our company uses a Master PCB that is linked to many different schematics.
The master PCB doesn't change. Parts are loaded according to the schematic that you choose to use.
These were all done by hand, Tape and Mylar.
How do I set this up using DipTrace?
Thanks Surge,
I don't understand how this helps me.

-- 16 Oct 2015, 11:49 --

Thanks surge but I don't understand how this helps me.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 19 Oct 2015, 09:08

Assumption #1
I think what Serg was trying to say is that you need to import your PCB layout into DipTrace (or manually lay it out yourself). Also, you need to import your schematics (or manually recreate them in DipTrace). I am not familiar with the technique, but I think I remember hearing about some Gerber viewers that have the capability to translate much of the Gerber file data into one or more of the file formats mentioned by Serg. DipTrace can pull most of it in from there.

Assumption #2
If, instead, you are interested in seeing if DipTrace is capable of having different schematics for the same common PCB layout, then I believe that is possible. All schematics would have to reference components with patterns, pin-outs, reference designators and net paths identical to those found in the PCB layout. Each schematic can be compared to the PCB layout for differences/errors using the PCB Layout Editor's verification tool Compare to Schematic. You will have to figure out your own filing system as I believe DipTrace is not capable of storing and automatically linking/referencing multiple schematic versions for the same PCB layout.

Assumption #3
If you are looking for a way to populate a multi-purpose PCB according to what is included/excluded in differing schematics, then the best way to handle it in DipTrace might be to give each schematic its own unique part number or revision number, along with its own unique Bill Of Materials. You might be in for an interesting ride if you decide to use the Renew Layout from Schematic tool.

Is this for electrically-identical schematics written in different languages, or is this for a multi-optioned PCB?
Tom

Weedj123

#5 Post by Weedj123 » 21 Oct 2015, 01:19

Hi Tom,
This is for a multi-purpose PCB.

Your reply helped me sort out what I needed to do.

This is what I figured out.
I'll have one pcb file fully loaded with each shematic's parts. In this case there are 14 schematics.
The schematics are mostly the same, just a couple of parts are different in each schematic. I'll be able to
fill the board easily with all the patterns that the 14 schematics need.

On the schematic, I drew boxes and typed DO NOT LOAD around the symbols that are not loaded for this schematic version. I need the symbols to be on the schematic so that the pads for the parts show up on the PCB. I made patterns that have the pad pattern only for these parts but not the assembly and silkscreen info.
I also entered "DO NOT LOAD" into these symbols in the description field, so that DO NOT LOAD comes up in the B.O.M.

Now, I'll make a copy of the "master" pcb, give it a number 107719-M, the schematic will be 107718-1.
Then go into the pcb and run "renew design from schematic--by components first.

I tried this and it worked, making me very happy!
If you have any other helpful suggestions, please let me know

Techno Tronix

#6 Post by Techno Tronix » 06 Nov 2015, 03:13

I'm not sure if it's like Protel 99SE but with Protel you have to create a Master schematic which links the two schematic pages together by labels. The Master schematic consists of only a table that links net names of the one schematic to the other.

Weedj123

#7 Post by Weedj123 » 10 Nov 2015, 01:44

Techno Tronix wrote:I'm not sure if it's like Protel 99SE but with Protel you have to create a Master schematic which links the two schematic pages together by labels. The Master schematic consists of only a table that links net names of the one schematic to the other.
Hi, thanks for responding. I know what your saying, in diptrace I just use the net names to link them together.

My company uses 1 pcb for many different configurations or revisions. The pcb stays the same but it is loaded differently for each schematic.

Molly

#8 Post by Molly » 17 Nov 2015, 22:34

Follow the below steps:

In the WORKSPACE object create a NEW PCB project - which will create another project branch in the workspace - at the same level as your first/existing PCB project. Put your new board SCHdocs and PCBdocs in that newly added PCB project. They will compile separately, and the SCH-PCB links are local to each PCBproj.

Weedj123

#9 Post by Weedj123 » 20 Nov 2015, 04:32

Hmm interesting, thanks Molly

sushmithaborkar

Re: How do I set up a Master PCB used for multiple schematics?

#10 Post by sushmithaborkar » 30 Jan 2018, 19:37

Hello,
I am working with four tools Altium ,Mentor, Cadence, Eagle. I export schematic and footprint manually from Altium to rest three tools.
instead of exporting manually , i have done automation for few but am unable to import footprint to Mentor Pads layout nor Allegro(Cadence) using script.
I am not sure which script will support. i would like to know how to import Altium file into Mentor Pads, Allegro using script.

Regrads,
Sushmitha