Help with DRC

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
david

Help with DRC

#1 Post by david » 10 Nov 2017, 15:09

Hi,

I am getting DRCs for the following pattern layout, but I am not sure why it is violating. The copper is expected to be there and the supplier has confirmed the pattern is correct. Can you please help?
DRC screenshot.JPG
DRC screenshot.JPG (221.23 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Thanks,
David

dipicorg

Re: Help with DRC

#2 Post by dipicorg » 10 Nov 2017, 21:50

Is this Copperpour? If yes, update it...

david

#3 Post by david » 11 Nov 2017, 10:05

I tried copper pour but the affected area remains out of the pour. Here's the picture:
Capture_poured.JPG
Capture_poured.JPG (87.48 KiB) Viewed 555 times
The area where DRCs occur has the following structure in the pattern:
Capture_poured.JPG
Capture_poured.JPG (87.48 KiB) Viewed 555 times
The brownish squares are "Top Paste"s and four squares together form a PAD. In DRC, it shows weird drill-to-copper, drill-to-smd, etc errors.

Thanks,
David
Attachments
pattern.JPG
pattern.JPG (76.65 KiB) Viewed 555 times

david

#4 Post by david » 11 Nov 2017, 11:11

By the way, the connection to ground is ok, the problem is just the DRCs. This is the only pattern in my design which has the "Top Paste" layer in the pattern. Basically, it's 4 squares of "Top Paste" (brown color) inside one big PAD square (red color square):
pattern2.JPG
pattern2.JPG (56.71 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Thanks for your input.

Thanks,
David

david

#5 Post by david » 11 Nov 2017, 18:14

The vias are basically sitting in the area in-between the top paste squares. Diptrace issues DRCs of "via to copper" and "via to SMD" types. Is top paste considered copper or SMD?

Thanks,
David

dipicorg

#6 Post by dipicorg » 11 Nov 2017, 23:42

Are You sure there is only 1 Copperpour and not another inside Your Component? You can have multiple Copperpour Areas... For me it looks like it's Copperpour that conflicts with Pads. Try selecting the Border of the Copperarea inside the Part and see if You can update it... (and control, if it's not locked and has the correct Net assigned)

If this does not help, send me the Pattern and I will test it (.eli/.lib File)

david

#7 Post by david » 12 Nov 2017, 07:08

I think so, when trying to select the copper area inside the part it selects the whole part so I un-grouped the component and selected the border of the copper area inside the part, it shows it as a shape (top layer signal). However, it doesn't have any net attachments.

By the way, when I check the library of the pattern (Library->Check "myparttern" Library menu in Component editor), it gives a warning about some pad called "V" that is unconnected. I don't see that pad neither in the pin manager nor in the pattern.

I have sent you the component file (.eli) but I am not sure if it went through because when I was trying to attach it it showed as "not allowed". Please let me know if you received it. Thanks for help.

David