2 layers PCB review

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
pcbgogo_dph

2 layers PCB review

#1 Post by pcbgogo_dph » 23 Oct 2018, 19:23

This is my first design, I'm a self learner. I chose KiCAD as my EDA because it is open source.

I have made a working prototype on a breadboard and I would like to get a PCB for this simple circuit.

I'm using a Blue Pill (STM32) as my MCU. The goal is to control a stepper motor using a DRV8825 driver, and have two buttons to control the rotation of the motor.
ph91mutm56t11.png
ph91mutm56t11.png (46.23 KiB) Viewed 387 times
hijmov6o56t11.png
hijmov6o56t11.png (49.06 KiB) Viewed 387 times
I have aligned mounting holes on a millimeter grid to make the enclosure mechanical design easier.

- I have made motor supply traces wider to avoid heating, the motor draws about 3 amps and the trace are 2 mm wide (I will manufacture with 1 oz copper layer).
ffzudcyw66t11.png
ffzudcyw66t11.png (216.85 KiB) Viewed 387 times
The driver and blue pills are "flying" because I'm going to use female sockets to make sure I can recycle the components in case I want to reuse them elsewhere.

Any input is much appreciated :)

Second version
Thanks a lot for your invaluable input!
elci6tv33bt11.png
elci6tv33bt11.png (291.63 KiB) Viewed 387 times
2vmzugz43bt11.png
2vmzugz43bt11.png (345.19 KiB) Viewed 387 times
What I have done:

- I have moved all power/high current traces to the back.

- Replaced the LM78L05 by a LM7805 that will be able to dissipate more heat.

- Added a ground copper plane on the top and a via.

- Added some silkscreen text near the connectors.

- Made signals tracks a bit larger (from 0.25 to 0.4 mm).

- Moved the right mounting hole closer to the barrel jack to reduce stress on the barrel jack connector when plugging/unplugging the power supply.

- Changed the buttons pins and used the closest pins available to reduce trace length.

What I still need to to:

- Improve the connections between the two boards, I don't know how to do the mousebites yet but I'm sure I can find some tutorials.

- Try and use female sockets so that I have a better 3D view.

Comments:

I plan to go with PCBGOGO for my first PCB, they are able to do the thin plated slots for the barrel jack so I should be good.
PCB Prototype, PCB Assembly and PCB Layout services