new with DipTrace

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
swets

new with DipTrace

#1 Post by swets » 25 Oct 2021, 10:28

I just start with diptrace, but before I worked with ultimate 5.71

but now I have one question.... where do I found a testpin? (I mean a pin to connect a wire on the PCB?)

thanks!

Tomg
Expert

Re: new with DipTrace

#2 Post by Tomg » 25 Oct 2021, 11:34

First make sure to select the "Components" library group to access the standard DipTrace component libraries.

* To solder a wire directly to a through-hole pad on the board (no pins) try either the "Objects Wire" library or the "Objects Lead Hole Pad" library.

* For SMD test points (no solder connections, just probing) try the "Objects Testpoint" library.

* If you are looking for connectors try searching through the connector libraries (names beginning with "Con ").
Tom

swets

#3 Post by swets » 25 Oct 2021, 21:42

Second question..

I have in Schematics a IDC2X25M
but how do I change the shape in PCB Layout...

I'm searching at this connector:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/16-pin-idc-lo ... r/p/PP1154

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 26 Oct 2021, 03:40

DipTrace has the non-locking version of the 16-pin connector you are looking for in the "Con Rect Headers p2.54mm THT Angled Shrouded" library and it is named "5103310-3", but there does not appear to be a locking version. You can import the locking version (TE Connectivity p/n: 5499913-3) from SnapEDA using the SnapEDA import tool found in the main menu of each editor. Once you have imported the pattern, schematic symbol and 3D model into your preferred user libraries then employ the forward propagation process as follows...

1) Attach the 3D model to the pattern and resave the pattern library.
2) Attach the pattern to the component and resave the component library.
3) Replace the component In the schematic and resave the schematic.
4) In the PCB Layout editor use the "Renew Layout from Schematic" (By Components...) tool to bring in the changes from the schematic. Don't forget to resave the PCB.

For more information on how DipTrace works I highly recommend going through the supplied tutorial: main menu > Help > DipTrace Tutorial.
Tom