Connect signals via copper layers

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
cradleinflames

Connect signals via copper layers

#1 Post by cradleinflames » 19 Mar 2022, 00:41

Hello!

I used Diptrace several years ago and remember having issues with a few items and here I am again having issues with them again . . .

I have a board that I have a copper pour on the top of the board (which I want to use for a power layer) and a pour on the bottom (which I want to route some signals to using vias to use it as a ground plane). I know how to do this with ExpressPCB easily enough but I'm struggling to figure out how to do it here. I'm currently making a ring of LEDs and want to connect the VDD pads (highlighted in red) using the top layer.
Current circuit.png
Current circuit.png (88.28 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
I believe I should be able to do this by connecting them via thermal pads (as shown in the example below):
thermal connection example.png
thermal connection example.png (433.19 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
I believe this is probably easy enough to setup but I'm concerned that when I'm poking at each of these settings, I'm going to accidently leave one option enabled on a certain pad, forgot to return it to "normal" and screw the whole thing up. Can someone help me figure out how to setup the pads so they're connected? Thanks!

Tomg
Expert

Re: Connect signals via copper layers

#2 Post by Tomg » 19 Mar 2022, 02:27

Here's a link to the official DipTrace "how to" video - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14466
Tom