DipTrace Team has the question to our users

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
Serg
Technical Support

Re: DipTrace Team has the question to our users

#131 Post by Serg » 06 Dec 2022, 06:11

Rebel1 wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 22:23 I'd want to ask Diptrace to include different types of heatsinks, along with their 3D models. These are currently a basic and essential component of any electronic PCB or assembly, whether it be on a THD or an SMD platform. I'm having trouble designing these using the component and pattern editors because I can't currently find them in any of the Diptrace libraries.
Please specify the part numbers and datasheet links. We will consider them.

bird

#132 Post by bird » 21 Dec 2022, 15:40

I'd suggest to create a new forum category aimed at Spice modeling in DT. All simulation related questions (GUI, workflow, models creation/acquisition/importing, running, etc...) will be placed there. All the news on NGSpice which effect DT users should be posted there.
And also documentation : update your "training.pdf" on-line doc (this was my main doc 6 years ago to learn DT ) and would be great to have another doc specifically dedicated to Spice...
With gratitude to DT team for the tool,
Vlad

Brent

#133 Post by Brent » 06 Apr 2023, 13:32

Microcontroller variants are sometimes available, and sometimes not. For example, the MSP430FR23xx is missing, while most other variants are in the standard library.

By the time we notice something is missing, though, we already need to create a component/pattern for it. So there is little reason to request that particular part be added, except to help others.

I agree that more connectors would be helpful.

gunrunnerjohn

#134 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 14 Jun 2023, 02:58

One thing that I haven't seen that surely is widely used is the JST connectors. They have to be one of the most commonly used connectors, but I had to search out 3rd party libraries and create a bunch of the still missing ones myself. Personally, I use a lot of the JST-EH, JST-PH, and JST-ZH connectors, but there are plenty of others that I'm sure others use.

jjhawg

#135 Post by jjhawg » 05 Mar 2024, 14:31

On a closely related topic, for parts that have a specific "value", resistors and capacitors for instance, it would be nice if the Value field was populated, like the part number fields are. I would make it a lot easier to find a component with a certain value using the Filter capability.

Perhaps a better, more general approach may be to include the Description fields from Digi-Key and/or Mouser in addition to their part numbers; this would greatly help with finding all types of parts...

gunrunnerjohn

#136 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 06 Mar 2024, 03:26

jjhawg wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 14:31 On a closely related topic, for parts that have a specific "value", resistors and capacitors for instance, it would be nice if the Value field was populated, like the part number fields are. I would make it a lot easier to find a component with a certain value using the Filter capability.

Perhaps a better, more general approach may be to include the Description fields from Digi-Key and/or Mouser in addition to their part numbers; this would greatly help with finding all types of parts...
I like the idea of more description to search on, that would be useful in a number of cases I've encountered, mostly for somewhat unique parts.

I'm less convinced about adding a specific value to things like resistors and caps. One size and type of a resistor, for instance, can have hundreds of values, that seems like a lot of overhead to have those appear individually in the libraries. Maybe I misunderstand the suggestion, but I'm not seeing the value here.

When I'm adding a common resistor, say a 1/8W 0603 footprint, I just add them all as a generic resistor. Then I go through the schematic and populate the actual manufacturer's part number and the value for each part. I don't see how having hundreds of 0603 footprint 1/8w resistors in the libraries would bring anything to the party.

jjhawg

#137 Post by jjhawg » 07 Mar 2024, 15:46

Thanks for the comment. I pretty much agree that values for individual parts like resistors is not necessary.
However, there are already many such devices in the libraries where they have specific part numbers for Mouser and/or Digikey.
Being able to search on a comprehensive description would get the job done...
Having the ability to display a library in a spreadsheet type view while filtering would be handy as well...

gunrunnerjohn

#138 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 08 Mar 2024, 04:38

How cool would a nice full page view of the contents of a library be? That would be great, especially if it included not only the description but the footprint and 3D rendering! Being able to view them that way would really make it easier to find the proper part.