New Release 3.x or 4.0?

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
0xdeadbeef

Re: New Release 3.x or 4.0?

#11 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 02 Nov 2019, 16:34

Any chance that quick'n'easy to do things requested since v2 like a "one click" gerber+drill export or storing/restoring export profiles will ever be done?
I made so many bug reports, requests and suggestions over the last six years and usually I was told something like "will be considered for the next release" and I don't think a single suggestion I made was ever implemented.
While I still like to use DipTrace, this way of totally ignoring user requests is ultimately frustrating. I'll probably still upgrade to v4 due to lack of affordable/usable alternatives, but it sickens me to know that nothing I or lots of other people requested in so many years will implemented in v4 as well. And honestly I'd be willing to bet that "push and shove" won't make it again, either. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

novarm44
Technical Support

Re: New Release 3.x or 4.0?

#12 Post by novarm44 » 04 Nov 2019, 18:09

Any chance that quick'n'easy to do things requested since v2 like a "one click" gerber+drill export or storing/restoring export profiles will ever be done?
I made so many bug reports, requests and suggestions over the last six years and usually I was told something like "will be considered for the next release" and I don't think a single suggestion I made was ever implemented.
While I still like to use DipTrace, this way of totally ignoring user requests is ultimately frustrating. I'll probably still upgrade to v4 due to lack of affordable/usable alternatives, but it sickens me to know that nothing I or lots of other people requested in so many years will implemented in v4 as well. And honestly I'd be willing to bet that "push and shove" won't make it again, either. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.
Push and Shove is on the way, it is quite complex to implement though.
Regarding bug-fixes: we are trying to fix all reported bugs, if anything is not fixed since v2 yet - please let me know.
Regarding features: ok, there are hundreds and hundreds of requests, and almost all we implement in new versions are user-requests. But some features are requested by single person, and others by many ones + some features may have conflict with others or can not be easily implemented with existing project structure or on existing stage + we have limited qualified resources. Qualified means not just hire programmers who do more and more things and make another peace of trash, but people who think on the project in-depth what and how to implement to keep it usable and add complex features. We are working hard, but I agree development speed may be faster. "Will be considered" is standard reply from support, it means they listened you, but this doesn't mean developers know about every single request. When there are several similar requests from different people, it is shown to project manager and then we see if it comply with overall project structure and decide how and when to implement it.