Next update with new features ?

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
HolgerLembke

Re: Next update with new features ?

#21 Post by HolgerLembke » 27 Jul 2015, 02:31

TL;DR: Great product. Do more public updates, fixes, small enhancements.

I use the free version. I thought about spending money, but as someone said before, I don't have too much trust into the future. Its all due to product care. Is there any? As a new customer in spe I don't see any. I would like to see more love to detail. And add some little nice features, fixes, usability updates all over the time. Involvement.

For example the group function. Has been a topic here and went into the total wrong direction (ok, my view. :-).

I think the group function is one of the most useful function to organize stuff. To me very important. But workflow is nasty: ungroup, change, select, group. Forum suggestion: add a regroup last objects. That is (as far as I see) difficult, because if you add parts, they will not be grouped (because they were not members of the original group), so good chance to make errors.

Why not look at the flowers in other gardens? How do most office products with drawing capabilities handle the grouping? First click: select the group. Second click into a grouped element selects the element. No ungrouping needed for changes. Simply let user use grouped elements like all others. Only change the select mode. (first click: all, second click: the item). (it is partially implemented for object properties but not for moving or adding wires...)

Adding an element: with the above concept add an element, select new element + group, group, create new group that includes all elements (no subgroups, plain flat group).

Delete element: click to select group, next click to select element, delete. done.

These small changes would be very welcoming for beginners and casual users. those, that will get the job done without learning ancient GUI/MMI-concepts no one today uses.

Let me sum some random things up that annoy me daily:
- redesign the component selection thingy on the left. it is slow and difficult to use. remove search, give it a single input line and do a full text query with components in memory. my little pc has 16gb memory and 8 cores, what do I care... (at startup do a threaded background loading process, while I'm busy with selecting my schematic file the loading is already done...)
- if I select an element in the design manager window, the object in the schematic is highlighted. if I select a object in the schematic, it is not selected in the design manager (items list on the right).
- my version does not remember window positions and size.
- pcb layout does not remember on/off layers
- very annoying: recurrent need to turn off copper fill
- pcb layout could have some help for odd shaped outline. But I'm not sure how to do it right (my problem was to redesign a rectangle pcb with rounded edges and holes at certain positions like the original plans demand. I found it cumbersome.) Perhaps helplines would be nice (like in a well know presentation software.....)

Btw: the parts design process (pattern+component) is nice and easy. A clear winner against everything I tested with my noob understanding I had. If it only had a online database of parts... so we all invent the wheel again and again...

gen3eng

#22 Post by gen3eng » 28 Jul 2015, 06:29

Alex wrote:We are testing the beta version. It will be released in two weeks.
I have been eagerly waiting for this announcement! Can't wait to see the new version!

envisionelec

#23 Post by envisionelec » 06 Aug 2015, 05:59

Alex wrote:We are testing the beta version. It will be released in two weeks.
Exciting! Thank you. :)
DIPTrace 2.9.0.1 Beta Full Edition
Windows 8.1 Classic Shell

mgriebling

#24 Post by mgriebling » 27 Oct 2015, 23:45

Could someone please give a time-frame for when a Mac native version would be available?

I know many Mac users have been frustrated with the slow response and bugs of the non-native GUI.
I can only imagine how DipTrace would fly past all contenders with a native Mac port.

For now, DipTrace is the only game in town for Mac users. However, in the future this could change quickly.
Market share for Macs is increasing by leaps and bounds every year. PC market share is dropping every year.
Which horse would you back?

BTW, also disappointed that the new beta was not made available to Mac users.
I see the writing on the wall and it is not encouraging.

Alex
Technical Support

#25 Post by Alex » 30 Oct 2015, 02:57

Native OS X version won't appear soon. We understand it is important for us and our customers. We have worked and continue working on different features but keep in mind native Mac version.

Borg

#26 Post by Borg » 30 Oct 2015, 09:28

Hi Alex, for when it will release the final version? (Version 3.0 (?)).

Thanks!! :)

jean_howard

#27 Post by jean_howard » 02 Nov 2015, 01:18

Alex wrote:New beta version will be released in 1-2 month. It will have major new features: diff pair support, ODB++ export, Gerber X2 support and (if we have time) customizable hot keys. In any case, cutomizable hot keys will be in stable release.
The new beta will have also some minor improvements and bug fixes. But we don't plan teardrops and significant UI changes.
Hey Alex,

It sounds like we will have very much improved version soon!

Alex
Technical Support

#28 Post by Alex » 03 Nov 2015, 03:00

We plan to release stable version 3 in 1-2 months.
Most of improvements can be seen in the beta version 2.9. We polish diff pair routing and fix known bugs for stable release.

jean_howard

#29 Post by jean_howard » 06 Nov 2015, 17:37

Alex wrote:We plan to release stable version 3 in 1-2 months.
Most of improvements can be seen in the beta version 2.9. We polish diff pair routing and fix known bugs for stable release.
Hope to have it early!
Please keep us updated about it!

Borg

#30 Post by Borg » 08 Jan 2016, 22:31

On date november,3
Alex wrote:We plan to release stable version 3 in 1-2 months.....
After more than two months....any news? Thanks!

Best regards

Edit: (January 18, 2016): No news, be quiet..., waiting... :roll: