DipTrace 3.1 beta

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

DipTrace 3.1 beta

#1 Post by novarm44 » 13 Mar 2017, 03:44

Hi All,

We have published version 3.1 beta today.
You can download it from http://diptrace.com/download-diptrace/
Scroll the page below and choose the file you need (32, 64, free or trial). Updatet libraries are already included into program downloads.
Updated STEP 3D models should be downloaded separately at http://diptrace.com/libraries-and-3d-models/
Download single file (exe or zip), download by categories was not updated yet.

The new features are:
- Length Matching Rules
- Real-time Length Comparison Table
- Layer Stackup Table
- Using Layer Stackup and Pad Signal Delay for trace length and differential pair phase calculation.
- Aligning Objects
- Switching Units with hotkey in any dialog window (Shift+U by default)
- Permanent Net Highlight Option
- Altium ASCII Import (Schematic, PCB, Libraries)
- Eagle XML Import (Schematic, PCB, Libraries)

New Libraries (11,100 new component and 345 new patterns):
- Atmel - MCU, PLD, FPGA, RF, Interface, Memory, Power Managament and Sensors added.
- Microchip - MCU and DSC added.
- NXP-Freescale - MCU, MPU, DSP and RF added.
- QORVO(RFMD) - RF and RFID added.
- Renesas - Diodes, Thyristors, Transistors, DAC, MCU, Amplifiers, Comparators, Memory and Power Managament added.
- ST Micro - MCU, Memory and Sensors added.
- Texas Instruments 2,3 - Transistors, Interface, Linear, Logic, Power Management added.
New STEP 3D Models (1,120):
Con Batteries, Con Power, CAP, Con RF&Coaxial, Crystals, DFN, Diodes, Diodes Bridge, Displays, Inductors, Misc, Sensors, Sip

There are 2 more features we plan to add before release of 3.1:
- Meander tool, which allows to make and edit length compensation elements for length matching.
- automatic update of libraries and 3D models, this feature is already done, but should be polished and integrated into our web-site.

Regards,
Stanislav Ruev
DipTrace Team

vetsen

Re: DipTrace 3.1 beta

#2 Post by vetsen » 13 Mar 2017, 05:11

Great News.

I can't wait to try it. Too bad I'm at work and don't have admin privileges.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Vetsen

Fenichel

#3 Post by Fenichel » 13 Mar 2017, 07:09

How does one get to the object-alignment and net-highlight features? I don't see them on the main or context menus.

Martin Johnson

#4 Post by Martin Johnson » 13 Mar 2017, 07:52

Well done this certainly seems much more useable for high speed design now :D
Length matching dialog is nice, great it can take into account the newly added layer stack and also the internal package delay :-)
Although some dialogs (length matching for example, although there are others) really do need a way to resize as the fixed width is quite restrictive and means that you cant use sensible signal names in a complex design. The highlight feature when clicking the text in the length match dialog does help identify the net though, even if the full net name cant be read.

When working in millimetres; is it possible to have 3 decimal points precision displayed on the measured lengths?

Very useful to have the Altium import export feature :)

Great to see such improvements, keep up the good work and look forward to see soon the meander tool.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#5 Post by novarm44 » 13 Mar 2017, 08:06

How does one get to the object-alignment and net-highlight features? I don't see them on the main or context menus.
1. Edit / Align Objects from main menu (active if 2+ objects are selected) or select 2+ objects, right click on one of them and Align Objects.
2. Right click on trace and Highlight Net
Length matching dialog is nice, great it can take into account the newly added layer stack and also the internal package delay :-)
Although some dialogs (length matching for example, although there are others) really do need a way to resize as the fixed width is quite restrictive and means that you cant use sensible signal names in a complex design. The highlight feature when clicking the text in the length match dialog does help identify the net though, even if the full net name cant be read.
When you place mouse pointer over the net in the list, it displays hint with full net name and pads you measure length between. Will do for millimeters.

VEC7OR
Expert

#6 Post by VEC7OR » 13 Mar 2017, 08:26

Congrats on the new release.

How about those user interface fixes I and everyone else was asking about for, I don't know, 5 years now ? Any progress on that?
viewtopic.php?p=21390#p21390
I see this stuff every single day I do layout, and it pisses me off - fix it, please, resize the windows and ditch those bloody tabs, I'm tired of wasting clicks and time.
Still, you are doing it better than everyone, else keep at it - I've always recommended your software and will in the future.

Now then, onto beta:
Regarding unit change - here is a better way - right click on the unit label - select needed unit from a menu, or left click to switch them.

Track length - hints should show faster and shouldn't disappear if I hold the mouse still.
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#7 Post by novarm44 » 13 Mar 2017, 11:42

How about those user interface fixes I and everyone else was asking about for, I don't know, 5 years now ? Any progress on that?
viewtopic.php?p=21390#p21390
Ok. I have reviewed topics there and many of things from 5 years old topics had been fixed/changed already.
Some things can not be done: you want the actions you need in one click, but sometime it may break the design accidentally (like removing arrows from net-classes)
I see this stuff every single day I do layout, and it pisses me off - fix it, please, resize the windows and ditch those bloody tabs, I'm tired of wasting clicks and time.
I don't think this is nice idea, There are primary and secondary properties and we place primary properties to the first tab. If place all properties to large single window - that will look too complex and may confuse user, especially beginner. In some windows I agree with you though.
Regarding unit change - here is a better way - right click on the unit label - select needed unit from a menu, or left click to switch them.
Good idea - will do it. Just found it in one of your topics, but it was not reported to me by support guys.
I'm senior developer and decision maker, but I don't investigate all support requests or reports. Support guys collect the most requested features and report them to me.

VEC7OR
Expert

#8 Post by VEC7OR » 13 Mar 2017, 12:41

novarm44 wrote: Ok. I have reviewed topics there and many of things from 5 years old topics had been fixed/changed already.
Some things can not be done: you want the actions you need in one click, but sometime it may break the design accidentally (like removing arrows from net-classes)
I'm pretty sure it wasn't.
Duplicate on CTRL+D, is that easy or what ?
Automatically move focus when mouse pointer moves to a different area - scrolling around will be improved a lot.
Double click in net editor doesn't move the net to the other list, and it should.
Double click on text goes to the font properties instead of text editing.
Node/wire dragging is still broken in schematics.
Drawing was multiple buttons, now single button with more buttons hidden below - how is this a good idea?
Measuring tools are still crap, and hidden under a button - ever tried to dimension your drawings ?
Selection inside other bigger components is still broken - ever tried moving small resistor next to a big transistor ?
Default setting for position by pads or by origin.
Oh and there is CTRL+Z for 'accidentally'.
novarm44 wrote: I don't think this is nice idea, There are primary and secondary properties and we place primary properties to the first tab. If place all properties to large single window - that will look too complex and may confuse user, especially beginner. In some windows I agree with you though.
May confuse the user ? There are like 5 clearly labeled text boxes and 4 dropdown lists, what is there to be confused about?
The results are self explanatory, and immediately visible upon clicking OK.
Don't treat users like morons - your average PCB designer can figure out 10 control elements in a single window.
In that noble attempt to protect the confused and feeble minded you make those who figured it out suffer constant tab switching.
The reason for that - IC have names and resistors have values and every time you set up something you have to change ICs to display name or if you change the default - change the passives to display value.
Ребята, ну вот как мне это объяснить? Все должно быть доступно СРАЗУ, места на экране валом, у вас и так все красиво сгруппировано, уберите наконец эти треклятые закладки, меня уже астохуебло их постоянно ворочать, и поставьте наконец то большие списки вместо дропдаунов.
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

Jack_M

#9 Post by Jack_M » 14 Mar 2017, 01:36

awesome. permanent net highlight is much appreciated :D
updated libraries are too

fdemir

#10 Post by fdemir » 14 Mar 2017, 16:27

Hi Stas
Thanks this excellent work.
Aligning object is very useful for me.
I want to ask some features requests.
I've already written to Alex by e-mail a year ago.

My big trouble related to search component .
1- Apply filter wait to finish searching. Show results after that. If it lists result while searching, i think this will be more usefull.
2- Apply filter dialog box always on top. For example If i switch firefox window, i see filter dialog box.
3- Apply filter dialog say "not respond" while searcing. And cursor becomes busy icon.
4-Cancel Filter button confuse me usually. I want to close filter dialog box, without cancel filter. Usually i clicks "cancel button". then i must apply filter again. (Idea: adding close button beside cencel button. cancel button on center. close button on right)
5-Edit on Standart libs is prohibited. If not change standard libs, indexing standart libraries can more accelerate searching speed.
6- Rotating shape object by its corner option, actually rotates by center of object.
7- Record Macro. For example, i change net color to custom color. Record this as macro and assign a shortcut. then changing other net color become very easy.

Have a nice day