DipTrace 4.0 beta

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

Re: DipTrace 4.0 beta

#111 Post by novarm44 » 02 May 2020, 23:13

We have added teardrops and several other improvements. Planned features, libraries, etc. have been completed. Known bugs have been fixed.
We will publish last beta in a few days and test it week or two, then publish 4.0 release.
Many wishes are still not implemented, so we plan to add them after main release.

gdvalet

#112 Post by gdvalet » 03 May 2020, 17:38

xfer

#113 Post by xfer » 04 May 2020, 04:30

Beta 2 looks good. It's nice to see that an image (logo) can be placed in a title block, and that its position will now anchor properly.

I note that there have been no noticeable improvements to the title block editor, nor any ability to include an associated image there.

Also, the bill of materials remains static--it must be reinserted every time that a change is made in the schematic. There should be an "update" button (or make it automatic) to refresh the BOM. That lack of data concurrence can create problems--things can be missed.

I know that your intention was to have push-and-shove, but for my purposes, the features that you have added are more useful. Congratulations.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#114 Post by novarm44 » 05 May 2020, 04:21

Hi All,

We have updated 4.0 to beta 3 today. Download it here https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/
New features if compare to beta 2:
1. Teardrops for pads, vias, trace width change and T-junctions.
2. Manual routing improvements:
- Routing with static vias option;
- Tab key can be used to toggle between selection of a segment, trace and net;
- Del key is used for unrouting selected traces (node to node) instead of deleting net;
- Delete Net option has been added to net submenu.
3. “~” symbol is allowed in text (double ~~).
4. Configurable default filenames for drill export.
5. Improved libraries.

Also many bugs have been found and fixed.
We do not plan to add new features for 4.0 already. Will keep this beta for 1-2 weeks, test it and fix bugs during this period, then publish 4.0 release.

Regards,
Stanislav

Tomg
Expert

#115 Post by Tomg » 05 May 2020, 06:11

Some v4Beta3 bugs inherited from v4Beta2...

Pattern Editor
1) 3D Preview ignores an offset rectangular through-hole pad - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13309
2) DXF Import tool: missing Top/Bottom Courtyard and Top/Bottom Outline layers
3) Zoom Extents: when the mouse cursor is active in the library list, the [Home] key selects the top library instead of acting on the Design Area. V3 did not have this annoying behavior. Selecting the top library in the list should require the hotkey combination of [Ctrl] + [Home].

PCB Layout editor
4) Unable to hide text assigned to RefDes - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13343
5) DXF Import tool: missing Top/Bottom Courtyard and Top/Bottom Outline layers
6) Zoom Extents: when the mouse cursor is active in the library list, the [Home] key selects the top library instead of acting on the Design Area. V3 did not have this annoying behavior. Selecting the top library in the list should require the hotkey combination of [Ctrl] + [Home].
7) Changing RefDes to a different custom font size is not reflected in 3D Preview.
Tom

fdemir

#116 Post by fdemir » 05 May 2020, 07:37

Hi Stas.
I wrote before to support @diptrace.com.
A customer asked me. ( Also i agree with him opinion)
Placing image on pcb in 3.3, was very usefull. Because he uses this feature to redesign broken pcb. He scans old pcb baord and place it on PCB Layout to fix lost trakcs etc.
But in 4.0 tries image convert to vector. I tried place sample image in pcb layout. but vectorized image full of black colour. (please see attaced image)

Please add placing image option like vectorized or classic. This option can be program option or can be selected placing every image (only an idea)

I hope if you investigate this.

Have a nice day
Fazil
Attachments
image.png
image.png (106.61 KiB) Viewed 3483 times

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#117 Post by novarm44 » 05 May 2020, 09:24

Hi Tom,
I have sent the list to our testing, it seems we missed some issues. Will try to fix what is possible. Thank You!

Hi Fazil,
I know about this, but probably it is not good idea to make this with new picture object (it is vector-based from beginning and is saved with the file). I have added the option to have background image to the nearest to-do (within source code), but after 4.0 release. If we add/fix all wishes, the release will delay and delay... and delay, especially in conditions of quarantine, so we will release stable 4.0, then do minor updates (probably next in a few months).

AzCo2k

#118 Post by AzCo2k » 05 May 2020, 15:48

So far, I'm happy with the beta.

I noticed in Beta 3 (and earlier in beta 2) that I cannot save design rules in the PCB editor. I try, click OK on the design rules window, immediately go back and the entry I just added is already gone.

Entry added:
Entry_Added.jpg
Entry_Added.jpg (127.78 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
I click OK to exit Design rules and immediately go back. Entry is missing, although the design rule changes remain:
New_Entry_Missing.jpg
New_Entry_Missing.jpg (130.22 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
Look forward to the full release!

xfer

#119 Post by xfer » 06 May 2020, 08:38

I just started using Beta 3. Really like the t-junctions and teardrops. A lot of great new features, and know that you are at a point where you need to declare this version as ready. Excellent job.

At some point in the future (after you have had a chance to rest a bit after all this work), it would be nice to see the bill of materials fixed so that it maintains concurrency with the design. It has been a known problem for several years.
Thanks.

Moris

#120 Post by Moris » 06 May 2020, 09:32

V4 Beta 3 still rotates markings with components.
This is a huge step back and a major annoyance in my eyes :oops: .
Imagine you rotate many/all components and now all markings are up side down. Now you have to manually rotate every single marking. So instead of helping the designer this creates a lot of stupid work.

V3.3 was doing it as expected and kept the orientation of the markings readable.

See post #63