DipTrace 4.0 Release

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
Technical Support

Re: DipTrace 4.0 Release

#41 Post by novarm44 » 29 May 2020, 15:20

Dave8266 wrote:
29 May 2020, 15:14
Looks like the download filenames are still the same?

Not sure if you saw my message on the prior page, but it would be really helpful to us users if the new download filenames could indicate the version number, like the way the old versions did... "DipTrace3313.dmg", "DipTrace_24.dmg", etc.

Thanks!
Yes, I saw your post. My apologies, forgot to reply.
We always keep the same filenames and path for actual version, because there are many direct download links from other web-sites.

MarkF

#42 Post by MarkF » 29 May 2020, 17:17

novarm44 wrote:
29 May 2020, 14:57
MarkF wrote:
29 May 2020, 14:28
The Schematic Editor graphics in version 4 appears to be a step backward from version 3.
And I don't remember the inconsistencies in selecting text color (example: text Creation vs Edit).

Wondering if they switched to using "Qt" for their cross-platform graphics...
Complete rewrite?
Didn't change anything with graphics and drawing in 4.0 if compare to 3.3, also played around with different schematics and tried to make a new one (small) on my PCs - all seems to work smoothly in both Direct3D and Open GL. Could you please provide picture how glitches look like?

p.s. Complains and reports are welcome - we would like to polish it as much as possible
Notice the thickness of horizontal and vertical wires. Using wire width 0.2mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gunrunnerjohn

#43 Post by gunrunnerjohn » 29 May 2020, 17:36

MarkF wrote:
29 May 2020, 17:17
Half of them are one width and the other half the other, that's really odd. Version 3 didn't do that.

___lines.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

novarm44
Technical Support

#44 Post by novarm44 » 29 May 2020, 18:25

gunrunnerjohn wrote:
29 May 2020, 17:36
Half of them are one width and the other half the other, that's really odd. Version 3 didn't do that.
I have reproduced the same issue with 3.3 (see below).
So the reason is not version and changes, but the following:
Anti-aliasing is turned off and all coordinates in D3D/OpenGL are floating point values. On specific width/scale some of them take 2 pixels while rounding, others - 1 pixel.
I was able to make work around before sending data to D3D/OpenGL, so the issue has been fixed for the next build.

p.s. Turning on anti-aliasing makes more issues, especially with OpenGL.

MarkF

#45 Post by MarkF » 29 May 2020, 19:06

I have always used the DirectX graphics mode in versions 2 and 3 on two of my laptops and have never noticed it before.
Used with Windows versions: XP, Win7 and Win10.

The Windows GDI mode does not show this effect. All the wires are drawn the same width. Weird.

novarm44
Technical Support

#46 Post by novarm44 » 29 May 2020, 19:10

MarkF wrote:
29 May 2020, 19:06
I have always used the DirectX graphics mode in versions 2 and 3 on two of my laptops and have never noticed it before.

The Windows GDI mode does not show this effect. All the wires are drawn the same width. Weird.
Fixed this. In the next build D3D/OpenGL line width will be 100% similar to Windows GDI on the same scale. But again this is not V4 issue, it was there from the beginning (appears only on specific line width/scale).

MarkF

#47 Post by MarkF » 29 May 2020, 22:47

novarm44 wrote:
29 May 2020, 19:10
MarkF wrote:
29 May 2020, 19:06

Fixed this. In the next build D3D/OpenGL line width will be 100% similar to Windows GDI on the same scale. But again this is not V4 issue, it was there from the beginning (appears only on specific line width/scale).
I don't doubt it was in previous versions.
I just never saw it and don't have the setup/wire width setting I was using for previous versions to try.
Looking forward to getting the update. Thanks!

What line widths would you recommend to use?

0xdeadbeef

#48 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 30 May 2020, 07:19

Great, thanks! That fixes all my recent complaints. Well, for the moment ;)

novarm44
Technical Support

#49 Post by novarm44 » 30 May 2020, 08:11

MarkF wrote:
29 May 2020, 22:47
What line widths would you recommend to use?
It depends on your printer, screen resolution and what is comfortable for you. The issue with line width described above is only appearance on the screen when line width is between 1 and 2 pixels. When you print or export picture/PDF it always uses Windows GDI + printer DPI/scale is usually much larger, than screen, so printer line width will be wider than 2 points.

Tomg
Expert

#50 Post by Tomg » 30 May 2020, 11:06

While checking custom pattern libraries in release version 4.0.0.2 that were modified using the v4Betas, I have been noticing the following oddities...
1) The [ ]Use Pattern's Standard Pad Properties option that I enabled for the appropriate pads of all qualifying patterns has been mysteriously disabled. Fortunately for me, the appropriate pads did not change from their previous settings so no real crisis there.
option.png
2) Re-enabling the [x]Use Pattern's Standard Pad Properties option for the appropriate pads of all qualifying patterns (a tedious job when doing this for large libraries where not all pads are standard) causes the Paste Mask outline to vanish.
3) Checking the Standard Pad Mask/Paste settings (main menu > Pattern > Standard Pad Mask Paste...) reveals that the [x]Custom Paste Mask Shrink option has been mysteriously enabled with the default setting "0". This is causing the Paste Mask outline to become the same size as the pad outline and explains the aforementioned Paste Mask vanishing act.
shrink.png
I have tried editing the exported DipTrace ASCII file to disable the [ ]Custom Paste Mask Shrink option en masse, but have thus far been unsuccessful in seeing a change after setting CustomShrink from "0" back to "-1000"; assuming of course that "-1000" is what creates the disabled state. I have also tried the same thing with the CustomShrink_New setting with a similar lack of success. Am I overlooking some special line in the DipTrace ASCII file that will allow me to disable the [ ]Custom Paste Mask Shrink option? In the meantime I will be merrily disabling each and every [ ]Custom Paste Mask Shrink option one at a time.

By the way, a while back you mentioned you might add a tool that would allow us to re-attach all patterns in a given library (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13255&start=33). Is that still a possiblility for version 4?
Tom