DipTrace 4.1 beta

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

DipTrace 4.1 beta

#1 Post by novarm44 » 12 Jan 2021, 02:28

Hi All,

We have published version 4.1 beta today. You can download it here: https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/
The list of new features is available below. The list of fixed bugs will be published in a few days (currently we collect them from all our sources).

1. Improved panelizing: V-Score and Tab Routing with mouse bites
2. Improved BOM, BOM in PCB Layout, Interactive BOM: integrated and HTML export
3. Improved Pick and Place: Center X/Y by component outline and terminals if exist, package height, new dialog window
4. Assembly variants for BOM and Pick and Place
5. Improved Drill Size Report
6. Automatic update of report tables in PCB (BOM, Pick and Place, Drill Size, Layer Stack)
7. Table rows and related components for report tables are highlighted
8. Raster pictures in PCB, improved raster pictures in Schematic
9. "Do not rotate marking with component" option
10. Improved trace editing: sharp angles are optimized, moving orthogonal trace with related 45 degree segments if necessary
11. Highlight copper pour islands and traces when highlight any trace or copper pour border
12. Align components and texts by other components and texts while moving
13. Resize of all panels (layers/properties/design manager, route, place component, etc) by mouse drag and drop
14. Bulk update of patterns in component libraries
15. Keep all pins of IPC-7351 3D model, not depending on pattern pads (option)
16. Pattern description is displayed in Component Editor, Schematic and PCB
17. Basic part swap in Schematic
18. Remove ratline while deleting trace (option)
19. 3D preview: Vector pictures in mask layer
20. Import/Export Improvements for DXF, Eagle, Altium ASCII, P-CAD ASCII
21. IPC-7351 Pattern Generator changes in CQFP, DFN 2 Pins, DFN 3 Pins, DFN 4 Pins, SOD, SODFL, Radial (Round LED), Radial (Rectangular LED), Radial (Disk), Radial (Disk, Offset Leads)
22. IPC-7351 automatic 3D models for the following families:
Crystal(HC-49); Crystal; Chip Array, 2 Side Concave; Chip Array, 4 Side Concave; Oscillator, Corner Concave; Oscillator, Side Concave; Chip Array, 2 Side Flat; Chip Array, 4 Side Flat;
LCC; Chip, Side Concave(2, 4 Pins); Chip Array, 2 Side Convex; DIP Socket; SIP; TO Cylindrical; Radial (Dipped, Round); Radial (Dipped, Rectangular); Radial (Dipped, Rectangular Offset Leads);
Radial (Disk); Radial (Disk, Offset Leads); Radial (Inductor); Radial (Molded);
23. New libraries:
Con HDMI, Con Sockets DIP, Objects Fiducial, Objects Hardware Inch, Objects Hardware Metric, Objects Jumper, Objects Lead Hole Pad, Objects Panelizing, Objects Testpoint, Objects Wire.
24. Old libraries redesigned for IPC-7351:
Con Rect Headers, Con Rect Wire to Board, Con USB, Con Vacuum Tubes, Inductors, Potentiometers

Regards,
Stanislav Ruev
DipTrace Team

timbak

Re: DipTrace 4.1 beta

#2 Post by timbak » 12 Jan 2021, 02:33

Just visited the site, first time in New Year, check if something new. Thank You!

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 12 Jan 2021, 07:18

Initial b4.1 (v4.0.9.1) observations...
1) Remembering the last panel size after closing and then reopening an editor still does not work.
2) The inverted text bug appears to be fixed.
3) Trace dragging behavior appears to be much improved when it comes to maintaining 45-degree angles.
4) The pattern display panel bug in the PCB and Schematic editors ("&" in name causes problems) appears to be fixed.
5) The "Bulk Update of Patterns..." tool in the Component editor appears to be doing its job. Thank you for adding this. It will save hours of work and has already uncovered problems in three of my libraries. It did take me a while to track down the reason it was unable to find the patterns for one of the libraries. I had a temporary (work) component file with obsolete pattern names in it. If you could add the component library filenames to each line of the "Possible Errors" report, it would make problems such as this easier to solve. Here's an example of what that report might look like...
bulk.png
bulk.png (37.63 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
Again, thank you for adding this much-needed tool.
6) The problem where a custom mask on the opposite side was showing through a copper pour on the active side appears to be fixed. However, when a custom mask is viewed from the opposite side of the PCB and there is no copper pour, the custom mask still appears as a solid figure instead of being an outline...
cmop.png
cmop.png (14.26 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
7) Disabling the "[ ]Rotate Markings with Component" option works for standard markings, but not for custom text that has been assigned to markings (e.g. RefDes). Here's an example file you can use to see the problem...
marking rotation.dip
(35.45 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Last edited by Tomg on 13 Jan 2021, 07:16, edited 3 times in total.
Tom

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 13 Jan 2021, 01:20

The "Remove Loops (bow tie effect)" bug has been carried over into b4.1 (v4.0.9.1). Here's the original report - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13396&p=28463
Tom

KevinA

#5 Post by KevinA » 13 Jan 2021, 16:02

13. Resize of all panels (layers/properties/design manager, route, place component, etc) by mouse drag and drop
check
This morning I started a small project, AT25C256 EEPROM with a 4 pin female header bottom mounted - this board plugs into a 3D printer controller and only cost $4 on Ebay But I was informed that the delivery date was April... When I asked the reason for the 2 month shipping they canceled the order..
At any rate I was trying to size the PCB by using the different packages but I couldn't get far enough to the right on the pattern name to check the pad sizes!
This evening I booted into windows on my test server (Normally a Ubuntu Nvidia server) and decided to install the beta, by reflex I tried to drag the left window to the right while continuing the pattern hunt only this time it moved!
Life is good now, Good work Diptrace Team!

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#6 Post by novarm44 » 14 Jan 2021, 00:17

Tomg wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 07:18 Initial b4.1 (v4.0.9.1) observations...
1) Remembering the last panel size after closing and then reopening an editor still does not work.
Please let me know what panel it doesn't remember. I tried different panels - seems all sizes are kept after reopening.
5) The "Bulk Update of Patterns..." tool in the Component editor appears to be doing its job. Thank you for adding this. It will save hours of work and has already uncovered problems in three of my libraries. It did take me a while to track down the reason it was unable to find the patterns for one of the libraries. I had a temporary (work) component file with obsolete pattern names in it. If you could add the component library filenames to each line of the "Possible Errors" report, it would make problems such as this easier to solve. Here's an example of what that report might look like...
Did that, also it displays pattern library file if it exists but some errors are possible.
6) The problem where a custom mask on the opposite side was showing through a copper pour on the active side appears to be fixed. However, when a custom mask is viewed from the opposite side of the PCB and there is no copper pour, the custom mask still appears as a solid figure instead of being an outline...
This is not a bug. I suppose filled region if it is located under objects and doesn't cover them is better solution for low contrast layer, then just outline.
7) Disabling the "[ ]Rotate Markings with Component" option works for standard markings, but not for custom text that has been assigned to markings (e.g. RefDes). Here's an example file you can use to see the problem...
marking rotation.dip
That text is part of component graphics and does not have separate position record, so it is rotated and moved only with other component graphics. If we change its angle/position inside component (to keep it unchanged when rotate component), we unable to recover it with ease when you decide to enable/disable the option.

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 14 Jan 2021, 01:39

...Please let me know what panel it doesn't remember. I tried different panels - seems all sizes are kept after reopening...
PCB Layout editor [Layers] panel...
layers.png
layers.png (31.78 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
p.s. That real-time alignment feature is a nice touch.
Tom

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#8 Post by novarm44 » 14 Jan 2021, 12:08

Tomg wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 01:39 PCB Layout editor [Layers] panel...
Fixed. Thank You! The same was in Schematic with this panel. The size was saved, but limited.

Tomg
Expert

#9 Post by Tomg » 15 Jan 2021, 07:06

Thanks for your quick response. While we're at it, there have been bugs in the Align Objects tool since its introduction. Here's what happens when Direction is set to "Horizontal"...

* When Align By is set to "Bottom" the float figure moves down so that its bottom edge lines up with the bottom edge of the anchor figure. This is the expected behavior.

* When Align By is set to "Center" the float figure moves down so that its center lines up with the center of the anchor figure. This is the expected behavior.

* When Align By is set to "Top" the float figure unexpectedly stays in place instead of moving down, and the anchor figure errantly moves up. This is not the correct behavior. The float figure should have moved down so that its top edge lines up with the top edge of the anchor figure...
aoh2.png
aoh2.png (56.61 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
* There is a similar bug for horizontal movements when Direction is set to "Vertical"...
aov.png
aov.png (57.94 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
Last edited by Tomg on 16 Jan 2021, 04:50, edited 3 times in total.
Tom

KevinA

#10 Post by KevinA » 15 Jan 2021, 10:21

1. While working with Pattern Editor I was editing a IPC-7351 SOT23-5 pattern the screen behind the pattern generator screen would start losing parts, the fan in my computer would start increasing speed (CPU >80%) and 1 or 2 seconds later the screen would refresh and everything is back. While typing this it did it again without the IPC window open, just a pattern displayed: 1080 display mode windows 10 insider preview 21286 prerelease 201218-1418 Nvidia Quadro P1000
With Diptrace minimized it would still grab the GPU and CPU...

2. After installing the beta I started to work and discovered I have to stop working and add metric units: Could you please have Imperial and Metric grids pre-setup, When someone chooses to use metric they are looking for metric units not inches. Add a third 'units' and call it combined unit mess for those that want it..