DipTrace 4.1 beta

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
HardyF

Re: DipTrace 4.1 beta

#11 Post by HardyF » 16 Jan 2021, 03:23

I would like to repeat my wish to add again the function of scrolling through the libraries with the mouse wheel for component selection.
This was possible without any problems in very earlier versions of Diptrace . It seems to me to version 3.x.
Now you have to use the cursor keys up and down with one hand and the other hand for mouse.
It's uncomfortable.

Thank You

amshh

#12 Post by amshh » 16 Jan 2021, 07:48

Hello Diptrace Team,

concerning the problem of not having un-vectorized pictures in V4.x you wrote here

https://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopi ... 882#p28882
I have moved this up in the list of 4.0.x.x polishing. We will try to return raster images in a 1-2 months. You can use 3.3 version for such tasks at the moment, and then move to the latest version.
This was in July last year.
I confess that I haven't installed the beta because I couldn't find anything about this in the list ....
Am I wrong?

Regards
Andree

KevinA

#13 Post by KevinA » 16 Jan 2021, 08:16

HardyF wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 03:23 I would like to repeat my wish to add again the function of scrolling through the libraries with the mouse wheel for component selection.
This was possible without any problems in very earlier versions of Diptrace . It seems to me to version 3.x.
Now you have to use the cursor keys up and down with one hand and the other hand for mouse.
It's uncomfortable.

Thank You
I have: Windows 10 Pro, Logitech G502 / G700 mice Diptrace 3.x, 4.0, 4.1
In Schematic Editor and Component Editor I can scroll all panels on the left
What I can't do with the mouse wheel is scroll and have the mouse pointer automatically select the item under the mouse pointer as it passes under the mouse pointer... I can't think of an application that does that.

SoundMod

#14 Post by SoundMod » 16 Jan 2021, 09:46

Found a bug with HTML Interactive BOM.

1) Net highlight on bottom layer does not works, I did try for two different design and it does the same on both. Net highlight seems to work only on top layer.
2) When in LR view mode, handle get stuck on resizing function. The only way to get out of window resizing mode is to right click and refresh window view.
3) Does the same in firefox and chrome.

Both Interactive BOM which I had the bugs with are linked below.
HTML_Interactive_BOM.zip
Interactive BOM files
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
Three other thing;
1) You did add basic part swap in schematic but can you add component position swapping in PCB editor ?
2) In the PCB editor, would it be possible to get the same PCB view quality as the HTLM Interactive BOM ?
PCB Editor vs Interactive BOM view
PCB Editor vs Interactive BOM view
Graphical Quality.PNG (229.48 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
3) Why the variants has been implemented only in the PCB editor and not in the schematic as well ?
Last edited by SoundMod on 16 Jan 2021, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Tomg
Expert

#15 Post by Tomg » 16 Jan 2021, 10:01

amshh wrote: 16 Jan 2021, 07:48 Andree wrote: "...concerning the problem of not having un-vectorized pictures..."
I experimented with b4.1 (v4.0.9.1) and it appears to work in both the PCB and Schematic editors. Here's an example showing what happens when importing a bitmap image into the PCB editor by pressing the [Keep Raster Image] button...
raster.png
raster.png (64.16 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
Tom

amshh

#16 Post by amshh » 16 Jan 2021, 11:19

Thank you Tom,
I will give it a (install-) try tomorow.
(Would have been good to read about this button.... Eather way: THANK YOU Diptrace. A great tool !!!)
A.

amshh

#17 Post by amshh » 16 Jan 2021, 20:47

Works!
Thank you.

dominicc

#18 Post by dominicc » 17 Jan 2021, 03:12

Some 4.1 beta feedback:

1) Shapes connected to a net are still not drawn in the 'trace color' for the net. Refer to support ticket DT-10348.
shape net color.JPG
shape net color.JPG (11.16 KiB) Viewed 5716 times
2) when duplicating things a second copy is still placed offset from the original and there is still no 'paste in place' option. Refer to support ticket DT-10109.

e.g. Ctrl+V to past as usual, and add Ctrl+Shift+V to paste without adjusting co-ordinates. It's really frustating to have to zoom out/pan, find the copy, which may be behind something else and not visible, only to have to bring it back into view, re-align it with the original object and then move it along an axis while using the shift keys. I need to do this frequently when creating silkscreens, placing vias, mounting holes and so on.

Using a grid for the pasting is no good, I tried that too. The copy made with a 'paste in place' must be placed at the same co-ordinates.

3) support for portrait displays is still lacking. I have two portrait displays either side of my main monitor, I use them for viewing webpages, refering to datasheets and schematics which are generally 'paper orientated', with a portrait display you see more of the 'page'. As noted in support ticket DT-10129 it would be much better if the user could re-arrange/collapse hide the panels at the side of the schematic editor and pcb layout tool to maximize the view of the schematic. A UI with docking windows, ala Visual Studio Eclipse, HydraIRC, WTL docking windows would be way better.

I'm sure I'll have more feedback, but wanted to mention these 3 things as they're still top of my list of issues.

dominicc

#19 Post by dominicc » 17 Jan 2021, 03:40

4) there's still no ability to re-order the trace templates within the list. This makes it hard to find the trace by size.

Improvements to the 'Trace Tamplates' dialog would include:
a) add up/down buttons so that re-ordering is possible.
b) ability to sort the columns by clicking on the column headers.
c) when clicking 'Add' the new item could be added under the currently selected row (i.e. inserted).
d) being able to drag/drop the rows would be nice.
trace template sorting 1.JPG
trace template sorting 1.JPG (29.48 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
also there appears to be a bug with it, once I added some trace templates for the screenshot above, and right clicked a trace the trace templates did not appear, so I went back into the trace templates dialog and the first item was missing, as follows.
trace template missing.JPG
trace template missing.JPG (29.13 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
Further more, highlighting and editing the first row didn't update the values in the row.

Clicking 'Add' resulted in *all* the trace templates in the second screenshot above being removed and only the values from the Template Parameters were added as a new row, as follows.
trace templates deleted.JPG
trace templates deleted.JPG (25.85 KiB) Viewed 5715 times

dominicc

#20 Post by dominicc » 17 Jan 2021, 03:53

5) the pad point editor is still a pain to use for partially rounded pads.

Manufacturers specify a radius of the pads, see the 'R' dimension in this example:
rounded pads.JPG
rounded pads.JPG (68.48 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
But there's no way of specifying an arc in the point editor.
point editor.JPG
point editor.JPG (101.37 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
There's also no way, in the point editor itself, to MEASURE anything, the measure tool would be helpful to access from there.

I was however, able to use the IPC-7351 pattern generate to generate a suitable pattern based on the values in the datasheet, as below, so good work there!
MLPD-UT6-IPC-7351.JPG
MLPD-UT6-IPC-7351.JPG (90.45 KiB) Viewed 5714 times