Why Imported 3D Models are always white?

Post your STEP, IGES and VRML models here
Betty19

Why Imported 3D Models are always white?

#1 Post by Betty19 » 18 Nov 2016, 03:25

Every time I try to create a footprint and embed an .stl file of the actual mechanical CAD of the part, the color information seems to get lost.

When I select the footprint in the .PcbLib file, under Display >> 3D Color I do see the color that I want but the model still shows up glaring white.

I can move on, but this seems to be an issue for a while now and at some point it'd be nice to fix, especially as I ship off screenshots of the model.

I'm attaching an example of a voltage regulator.
I'm using Altium 2010 I believe.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Why Imported 3D Models are always white?

#2 Post by Alex » 18 Nov 2016, 09:44

It looks the screenshot is from Altium Designer. Please explain what models do you import and what program do you import in?

sonali31

#3 Post by sonali31 » 01 Feb 2019, 06:52

I am also chasing the same solution.

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 01 Feb 2019, 14:00

From Wikipedia "STL files describe only the surface geometry of a three-dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes. There are at least two non-standard variations on the binary STL format for adding color information: " I complied about the lack of color to TurboCAD and was informed of this fact. AutoDesk has STL_DCE that has material packing for the STL image, don't know of anyone else. I have found that STEP 214 works well and usually has color support. There are exceptions like the recent TE DB9 I just downloaded, solid color just like most STL images.
Finished first version of a PCB with three different USB connectors that I had to download the 3D images (all solid color) and build the patterns/components.
usb1.jpg
usb2.jpg
usb4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sonali31

#5 Post by sonali31 » 04 Feb 2019, 07:56

Can you export the 3d model from your mechanical CAD package as a step file (the AP 214 version), and import that into Altium?

These seem to retain colour information when importing into Altium.

KevinA

#6 Post by KevinA » 04 Feb 2019, 18:36

Of the three USB connectors one has no "COLOUR_RGB" in the STEP file, two have "COLOUR_RGB=The same color in the whole file" while the headers have "COLOUR_RGB" with two values as the image shows.
If you have a part that shows color in Altium but when you import it into DipTrace there is no color, show me.
To compare a $10K product to a $1K product is, strange. I gave up on Tango/Protel years ago, still have the last set of 3.5" floppies.... :oops: