My 3D models on GrabCAD

Post your STEP, IGES and VRML models here
austfox

My 3D models on GrabCAD

#1 Post by austfox » 19 Dec 2018, 02:44

Hi all!

I'm a DipTrace newbie, having only used the software for the past few weeks, but am enjoying it immensely.

I tried both AutoTrax and KiCad but came away disappointed.

As I add components to my boards, I have created some 3D models. Feel free to use them:

https://grabcad.com/austfox-1/models

Steven.

d1wang

Re: My 3D models on GrabCAD

#2 Post by d1wang » 20 Dec 2018, 21:05

Thank you for sharing. Would be nice if you label the manufacturer and part number for the terminals.

DipTrace has it's 3D library (https://diptrace.com/download/libraries-and-3d-models/) so you don't need to make models for everything. If you can't find the model you want, you may also borrow 3D models from KiCAD.

austfox

#3 Post by austfox » 22 Dec 2018, 01:50

Thanks for your response. Whilst I was aware that DipTrace came with a 3D library (which I have downloaded and installed), I prefer to make my own models to assist in learning Fusion 360. I’m slowly getting the hang of it, and it will get me ready for modelling N scale railway items when I get my AnyCubic Photon printer.

I found also that some of the 3D models do not have consistent lead lengths, so whilst you can adjust the height that a component sits on the board, this can also mean that when you flip the board the leads are not all the same length. I’ve made all the lead lengths 2mm, except for some components that I like to sit 1mm above the board and have made the lead lengths 3mm (resistors, diodes etc).

I also like to make my own patterns in DipTrace, again also to aid in learning. It’s a pain at first, but pretty soon you have a user library full of common parts that you use regularly.

With regards to datasheets, I thought they were more for linking to patterns? All the 3D models I have created are generic anyway (suit a number of manufacturers).

sonali31

#4 Post by sonali31 » 05 Feb 2019, 00:42

Sure will check out the models..!