3D printing

Post your STEP, IGES and VRML models here
sonali31

3D printing

#1 Post by sonali31 » 27 Feb 2019, 21:43

Where 3D printing can be used in civil engineering ?

sonali31

Re: 3D printing

#2 Post by sonali31 » 01 Mar 2019, 01:04

D printing technology will dominate the world in the forth coming years. As you could see 3D printing is being effectively used in the field of automotive, aerospace and medical industry. Soon they will find the applicability of 3D printing in civil engineering too. In fact there were lot of research, majority of them at the initial stages, are going on based on the usage of 3D printed entities for construction.

The major advantage of 3D printing is that it reduces the amount invested on tools for manufacturing and the associated labour. Though the investment cost is high, it's one time and has the added advantage of wastage reduction at source.

For now, it has direct application in contour crafting, a construction process for making 3D printed homes. It is more of an gantry girder running over the entire building period lot to 3D print and fabricate. It has been found to be fast, less energy use and less or zero wastage.

It also works in accordance with BIM building information modeling , CAD/CAM technology to avoid rework.

However everything in construction are of large scale., and several factors comes in to play like., quality of the mortar, ( material used ) , workmanship, design for seismic activity. The equipment is also costly and requires skilled labour to operate and maintain.

The usage of 3D printing technology is at the primitive stage, in civil engineering field, and there is a lot to be explored.

FitEyes

#3 Post by FitEyes » 07 Apr 2021, 03:32

So I am an additive production researcher (what the industry refers to as 3D printing). I'm wondering why? What is the advantage of 3d concrete printing? It's mainly a jerk and we have other ways of producing structures faster and cheaper, more reliable and more flexible, though. I don't know the specifics. You don't even begin to do rebar....

When someone asks if he or she will be going 3D printing cars, houses or whatever clickbait article he or she reads, that is my answer, usually we have optimised the way to do that for 100s of years. 3D printing will not even approach the traditional methods
Life is a Gift

Brayden

#4 Post by Brayden » 04 Apr 2022, 02:32

What an interesting sharing!

Brayden

#5 Post by Brayden » 04 Apr 2022, 04:10

Hi, in the future, I think the combination of 3D printing and civil engineering will fall on intelligent construction. It is conceivable that in the factory, intelligent robots implement large-scale 3D printing of various components of civil structures according to the construction specifications, and then quickly install them at the construction site according to the standardized process, which greatly improves the efficiency and reliably ensures the safety.

LucaJones

#6 Post by LucaJones » 24 Jun 2023, 21:07

Can anyone recommend a reliable and user-friendly 3D printer for me?
Last edited by LucaJones on 24 Jun 2023, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.