finding components / schematic <-> pcb coupling

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
ElektroLuke

finding components / schematic <-> pcb coupling

#1 Post by ElektroLuke » 20 Aug 2019, 03:01

Is there a good way in Diptrace to find schematic components in the PCB layout?

I'm a bit used to how KiCad allows one to click on a schematic component and with that highlight the same component on the PCB, and vice versa. That is very useful during component placement (And later when wanting to know where a component from the PCB is on the schematic, e.g. for troubleshooting/measurements/repairs)

Is there a way to do this (or similar) in Diptrace?

Or is there a way to select multiple components in the list on the right? Just as it is possible to select multiple in PCB layout by ctrl-click-ing? Preferably even with a search (So for example, to select all components ending in _1, to quickly select all parts belonging to one instance of a hierarchical design)?

When it is 10-ish components this is not that inconvenient but with 400+ it would be really nice to have a good, quick way to find them, so component placing is more "pcb design" and less "where is waldo?".

Tomg
Expert

Re: finding components / schematic <-> pcb coupling

#2 Post by Tomg » 20 Aug 2019, 07:26

DipTrace does not have a schematic to PCB "cross-probe" feature. As far as searching goes, I suppose you could try Edit > Find Object...
Tom

ElektroLuke

Re: finding components / schematic <-> pcb coupling

#3 Post by ElektroLuke » 21 Aug 2019, 03:19

For hierarchical design I have found route/Hierarchy can also be used to select one block of the hierarchy before routing, which is very useful. (KiCAD afaik does not even have that ;))

But cross-probing would be nice. Or maybe there is some other quick/easy way to group and grab parts that belong to a subcircuit that I haven't found yet.