Is it true that turned off PCs get older/broken if its turned off for too long?

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
Deion Adel

Is it true that turned off PCs get older/broken if its turned off for too long?

#1 Post by Deion Adel » 10 Jun 2021, 05:44

:D Thanks to technology I became more paranoid every day, is it true that turned-off computers can get older in terms of lifespan or gets a break in some way if they are stay turned off for too long time? I always thought the dust and overheating are the enemies.

I've seen this saying "The Best" capacitors are Tantalum capacitors ( or Columbium, or Niobium) but after a few months, the oxide leaks and the capacitors will rebuild that oxide on the next power-up. Hermetically sealed means unaffected by outside but they explode violently. (Source: Tantalum capacitor) Mechanical things like fans and drives deteriorate. IRS has a cyclical use of old computers; in a quiet vibration-free storage area the smooth hard drive heads would weld themselves to the disc.

Is this saying true? So is it true that turned-off computers can get older in terms of lifespan or gets a break in some way if they are stay turned off for too long time?