Freezes once a minute - auto save?

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
ReverseEMF

Freezes once a minute - auto save?

#1 Post by ReverseEMF » 27 Mar 2016, 09:50

Is it just me or does the new 3.0 release freeze every minute? The toolbars go blank and the whole program freezes. This happens in Schematic and in the Pattern Editor [and probably the others, but I haven't worked in them, yet]. The Pattern Editor freezes for around 5 seconds! This is really annoying! On the assumption this is an Auto Save feature, I looked for a way to either turn it off or lengthen the period [currently 1 minute]. I could find NO program preferences -- thus no apparent way to get this to not happen!

This is on Win 10, BTW.
If left to evolution, would this PCB ever design itself, and what would the lead time be on that?

Tomg
Expert

Re: Freezes once a minute - auto save?

#2 Post by Tomg » 27 Mar 2016, 10:12

In the Schematic Editor or the PCB Layout Editor, go to the Main Menu and click on File, then choose Recovery Options... in the drop-down menu.
Tom

ReverseEMF

#3 Post by ReverseEMF » 31 Mar 2016, 23:16

Whew, thank you for that!

Now, what are "Autosave Steps"?
If left to evolution, would this PCB ever design itself, and what would the lead time be on that?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 31 Mar 2016, 23:19

ReverseEMF wrote:"...what are "Autosave Steps"?..."
My interpretation: the number of changes you have to make to your design to trigger another automatic update.
Tom

ReverseEMF

#5 Post by ReverseEMF » 02 Apr 2016, 08:25

I "spoke" to soon. The Freezes are still happening at the one minute rate, no matter what Recovery Option I try. I tried unchecking the "Enable Recovery" box -- still periodic freezes. I tried setting the "Autosave Steps" to a high number -- still periodic freezes.

This is SO ANNOYING it's pushing me to look for an alternative CAD offering [e.g. AutoTRAX or KiCad or ???]!!!

This started happening when I upgraded to Version 3.0. I don't remember what version I was using, before, but this WASN'T happening!

MDman

#6 Post by MDman » 02 Apr 2016, 16:43

Have you checked that you have sufficient free ram.
Also, what programs are actively using the cpu while this freeze is happening? Check the task manager.

Also try loading up with minimal other applications open, turn off your internet connection, firewall, virus etc and see if it runs better.
I didn't have any problems like that when I was running the v3 trial.