Thermals and connection to power planes

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
DipWhitt

Thermals and connection to power planes

#1 Post by DipWhitt » 21 Mar 2018, 09:29

Can some one lead me to instructions to have the auto router attach power and ground to my 2 poured planes I created?
So far, the router just routes traces and doesn't add thermals on power planes.

Thanks for any advice

Tomg
Expert

Re: Thermals and connection to power planes

#2 Post by Tomg » 21 Mar 2018, 12:32

To my knowledge, the autorouter will not automatically insert vias; you will have to do that manually. A copper pour will automatically connect with same-net pads that it comes in contact with. There is some information about copper pours on page 65 of the tutorial, which can be accessed through the Help menu.

Copper Pour net connection and thermals
1) Right-click on the outline of the Copper Pour and select "Properties" in the pop-up menu to bring up the Copper Pour Properties dialog window.
2) In the Copper Pour Properties dialog window select the [Connectivity] tab and choose the desired net using the Connect to Net drop-down list.
3) Select the desired thermal style using the Thermals and Spoke Width drop-down lists.
4) Disabling (unchecking) the [ ]Direct Connection for Vias option will allow you to create thermals for vias.
5) Thermals for SMD pads can be set up by enabling the [X]Separate Thermals for SMD option.
6) When finished with the setup, click on OK.

Don't forget to use the Update All Copper Pours tool after making your changes. To help speed things up, you can assign hotkeys for this and other tools/functions (Main Menu > Tools > Hotkey Settings...).
1.jpg
1.jpg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Tom

DipWhitt

#3 Post by DipWhitt » 23 Mar 2018, 07:18

Thanks,

But I am still having trouble. I am trying to make thermals to my ground layer to the 4 mounting hole pads seen on attachment.

I tried to follow your directions and other idea below:

1. Right click pad
2. click thermo settings
3. use custom settings
4. select gnd
5. select yes to connect
6. select 13 mil
7. select current pad
8. clicked OK and nothing happens

there were other choices in this course and I tried them all to no avail.

Sorry I am a little slow in understanding. can you try again since now you see my attachment.

Thanks again
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (101.21 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 23 Mar 2018, 08:35

Default thermals for pad to copper pour connection
1) Right-click on the desired pad and choose Thermal Settings... in the pop-up menu to bring up the Thermal dialog window.
2) In the Thermal dialog window select Use Copper Pour Settings, choose the desired option in the Apply to: drop-down list and click on OK to close the dialog window.
3) Right-click on the same pad, choose Add to Net in the pop-up menu and click on Select from List... in the fly-out menu to bring up the Net dialog window.
4) In the Net dialog window choose the same net as the copper pour using the Select Net: drop-down list and click on OK.
5) Update all copper pours to see the result.

Custom thermals for pad to copper pour connection
1) Right-click on the desired pad and choose Thermal Settings... in the pop-up menu to bring up the Thermal dialog window.
2) In the Thermal dialog window select Use Custom Settings, enable the [X]Whole Pad option and choose the By Pour option in the Connect: drop-down list. The "Yes" option will force a connection regardless of net structure. The "No" option will prevent a connection regardless of net structure.
3) Choose the desired thermal type using the Thermal: drop-down list. The "Direct" option will result in a solid connection without thermal spokes.
4) Select a spoke width using the Width: drop-down list.
5) Choose the desired option in the Apply to: drop-down list and click on OK to close the dialog window.
6) Right-click on the same pad, choose Add to Net in the pop-up menu and click on Select from List... in the fly-out menu to bring up the Net dialog window.
7) In the Net dialog window choose the same net as the copper pour using the Select Net: drop-down list and click on OK.
8) Update all copper pours to see the result.
Tom

DipWhitt

#5 Post by DipWhitt » 15 May 2018, 11:49

I have produced Gerber Files and am a bit concerned because I can not see the via connections to the power planes on the Gerber files.
I can find them easily with Diptrace graphics.

I was wondering if I need to make thermals for all my plane connections? However, I haven't found a way to do that.
Can you refer me to directions to default plane connections to thermals?

Sorry to continue this post. I can not seem to find a way to start a fresh post anymore.

Thanks

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 15 May 2018, 12:51

"...I was wondering if I need to make thermals for all my plane connections?..."
Not unless you need to solder to those vias. Since Gerber files do not include drill holes (that's the purpose of the N/C Drill file) it will be impossible to locate any vias having direct connections to copper pours (no thermal spokes) using the Gerber Preview tool.

If, however, you actually need thermal connections for your inner layer vias...
1) Select the desired layer to view, right-click on its copper pour's perimeter and choose Properties... in the pop-up menu to bring up the Copper Pour Properties dialog window.
2) In the Copper Pour Properties dialog window click on the [Connectivity] tab, disable (uncheck) [ ]Direct Connection for Vias and select OK.
Now when viewing the Gerber for that layer you should be able to locate the vias that have thermal connections (spokes) to the copper pour, but the holes will still be absent.
thermals.gif
thermals.gif (12.3 KiB) Viewed 318 times
Last edited by Tomg on 15 May 2018, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

DipWhitt

#7 Post by DipWhitt » 15 May 2018, 13:20

Thanks,

I was concerned because I don't understand how the board house understands which vias connect to a particular plane. If they guess, it is curtains for my board.
Yeah, you are right that NC Drill may tell the rest of the story but I don't see them on my Gerbers and would need an NC Drill overlay. I guess the board house takes care of that neatly.

I currently just put thermals on all my vias to make the Gerbers clearer to me. However, you are right that I really don't need them.

Thanks for your help