Import cad rules

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
nay27uk

Import cad rules

#1 Post by nay27uk » 23 Feb 2021, 02:31

How would one import a manufacturer's CAD rules

Most PCB manufacturers have a downloadable CAD that has their rules already in them so when you export the gerbers you can select their CAD.

Hope you understand what I am saying

Tomg
Expert

Re: Import cad rules

#2 Post by Tomg » 23 Feb 2021, 04:41

As far as I know DipTrace does not yet have the ability to import board-house specific DFM (Design For Manufacturing) files as of version v4.1. Some board houses provide DFM files for a select few EDA programs and others do not. This gives me the impression that no industry-standard universal DFM file format exists for all programs to import, which makes it a hit-and-miss proposition. You can, however, create a specialized design rule Template (main menu > Verification > Design Rules...), give it a name (i.e. name of board house) and manually enter the necessary parameters for easy recall later on.

FYI, here are some additional DFM-related helpful hints from Sierra Circuits - https://www.protoexpress.com/blog/dfm-i ... facturing/
Tom

nay27uk

Re: Import cad rules

#3 Post by nay27uk » 23 Feb 2021, 10:17

wow thanks.
I am used to using eagle and JLCPCB and had a cad file for eagle for JLCPCB that I downloaded so thought it was possible for DipTrace too.
I will have a look at the info you suggest.
Many thanks