Non profit license - Open Hardware sold by others?

For general questions regarding the software and for all questions that do not fit in any of the threads above.
0xdeadbeef

Non profit license - Open Hardware sold by others?

#1 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 26 Jul 2021, 04:32

I just wonder. The license conditions say:
This special license is granted on a non-commercial basis (this means that you don't earn money from using it). Any commercial use of software with non-profit license is illegal.
Now what if a design done with DipTrace in one's spare time is released as Open Hardware and somebody else decides to produce and sell the PCBs or a kit or maybe even an assembled product? Is this covered by the non profit license as long as the license holder (HW developer) doesn't earn any money and there is no business agreement between the spare time HW developer and the person selling the Open Hardware based products?

Or in other words: is it OK to release spare time projects (i.e. developer is not paid in any way by anyone) developed with DipTrace under true Open Hardware licenses (which don't forbid commercial use or reproduction)?

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Non profit license - Open Hardware sold by others?

#2 Post by Alex » 27 Jul 2021, 01:50

It is OK to release projects with DipTrace Non-profit under true Open Hardware licenses if HW developer doesn't earn money and there is no business agreement between the developer and the person selling the Open Hardware based products.

0xdeadbeef

Re: Non profit license - Open Hardware sold by others?

#3 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 27 Jul 2021, 07:43

Thanks a lot for this quick and positive reply. As I hoped, that's a truly customer and community friendly policy. And it confirms my decision to update and upgrade my DipTrace licenses over the last years.