Net issues

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
KevinA

Net issues

#1 Post by KevinA » 24 Feb 2021, 04:43

I have a 60 pin connector that I have labeled each pin with the signal name but when I started wiring the connector every pin wants to be GND or NET 6. When I added a wire from a +5V netport (stand alone Voltage Port) it assigned NET 5 to the wire as it was the first time I had wired +5V. When I try to wire J2 VCC to a netport named +5V it assigns NET 6, GND to the wire.When I try to wire any pin on J2 to a netport SE assigns NET 6 to the wire.

Diptrace V 4.1.0.1
The connector - each pin was assigned Electric value in Component editor
The connector - each pin was assigned Electric value in Component editor
STUCK.jpg (267.58 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Properties of each Net Port looks like
np1.jpg
np1.jpg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: Net issues

#2 Post by Tomg » 24 Feb 2021, 05:26

"...when I started wiring the connector every pin wants to be GND or NET 6..."
This sounds like all of the net ports were accidentally tied to GND. Going into this blind I can only assume that the net port tied to GND was the first to be connected and when other similarly-named net ports were placed into the schematic they were not renamed before connecting them to their respective nets (DipTrace will not give a hint of warning, either). If this is the case for your board it only confirms my belief that the DipTrace way of doing net ports is fraught with peril because DipTrace connects net ports by library name instead of net name.
Tom

KevinA

#3 Post by KevinA » 24 Feb 2021, 06:16

fraught with peril because DipTrace connects net ports by library name instead of net name.
It is worse, I rebuilt the connector, moved all the power pins to another page. Now I could use power net ports to wire to each pin of the connector, fixed that issue.
BUT I wired the first net port it was assigned NET 17, all the rest got added to NET 17, I don't think it is suppose to work like this.
Same - Net ports not working
Same - Net ports not working
np2.jpg (181.13 KiB) Viewed 327 times
similarly-named net ports were placed into the schematic they were not renamed before connecting them to their respective nets
How? When I tired to change the NAME of a net port it had a fit. (turns out it was the pin name I tried to change) I just changed the name of an unattached NET PORT and it worked, without an issue? WTH!
What ties the net ports together? RefDes or Value or Name? I thought it was Value since that is the only thing open, the Name is the same on many, use Port_B6, fix the parts markings then copy paste.

I read the help on net ports, I don't remember seeing anything about renumbering or renaming

But yep, currently all Port_Bx have the same name, get the same net! each net port has to be named IE: nRF-HOLD for the name then it gets a net that works, the second nRF-HOLD net port gets the same net.
I'm sure there is somewhere that mentions this, I can't find it and I haven't used this 'feature' in awhile.

Connect by name....
Connecting wires
Help:
Schematic > Objects > Net > Connecting wires

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 24 Feb 2021, 07:24

Here is my net port rant from last year - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13276&p=28034
I'm open to better ideas about how net ports should actually behave, but I'm not a big fan of the way they are being handled right now. Am I missing something, perhaps a setting, that would make using DipTrace net ports safer and more logical (to me, anyway)?
Tom