Can't find modified/saved component

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
jazzjohn

Can't find modified/saved component

#1 Post by jazzjohn » 22 Feb 2016, 05:15

In Component Editor:
I opened a component from the Microchip library, edited it, and saved it to the "Microsoft Copy" library. I can't seem to save it to any other library.

In Schematics:
I cannot find the new component nor any library called "Microchip Copy"

I can find the component again in the component editor, though.

Any advice?

Thanks.

tinker1

Re: Can't find modified/saved component

#2 Post by tinker1 » 22 Feb 2016, 08:17

Try saving it to your Documents/DipTrace/Lib folder if you have one.
Then after saving the component, in the schematic, select the component. Choose Replace Part. Then click "Filter On" and search for the modified component.

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 22 Feb 2016, 08:39

Were you unable to find the desired library group (see step 3) or the desired library (see step 4)?
Attachments
1.gif
1.gif (100.31 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Tom

jazzjohn

#4 Post by jazzjohn » 22 Feb 2016, 09:16

Tomg wrote:Were you unable to find the desired library group (see step 3) or the desired library (see step 4)?
I reproduced your screen shot. But in the "Copy Components to Another Library" window, "User Components", it will not let me copy to any library under that. I get "Library is located in standard library folder. Changing is forbidden!"

I interpret "User Components" as a library that is writable by the user, no?

-- 22 Feb 2016, 15:20 --
tinker1 wrote:Try saving it to your Documents/DipTrace/Lib folder if you have one.
Then after saving the component, in the schematic, select the component. Choose Replace Part. Then click "Filter On" and search for the modified component.
You mean save the component from within the component editor? Under "Component" pull-down there is no "Save."

Under the "Library" pull-down, there is a save as, but is that saving a library or the component?

Sorry for my confusion.... and Thanks.

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 22 Feb 2016, 09:31

jazzjohn wrote:"...in the "Copy Components to Another Library" window, "User Components", it will not let me copy to any library under that. I get "Library is located in standard library folder. Changing is forbidden!" I interpret "User Components" as a library that is writable by the user, no?...
You are correct. It almost sounds like the User Components libraries have somehow been set to "Read Only".

Try finding out where DipTrace is looking for your User Components libraries by going to the Main Menu and selecting Library, then Library Setup... I happen to have mine in C:\data\DipTrace\Libraries\Components...
Attachments
1.gif
1.gif (43.35 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Tom

jazzjohn

#6 Post by jazzjohn » 22 Feb 2016, 10:29

Tomg wrote:
jazzjohn wrote:"...in the "Copy Components to Another Library" window, "User Components", it will not let me copy to any library under that. I get "Library is located in standard library folder. Changing is forbidden!" I interpret "User Components" as a library that is writable by the user, no?...
You are correct. It almost sounds like the User Components libraries have somehow been set to "Read Only".

Try finding out where DipTrace is looking for your User Components libraries by going to the Main Menu and selecting Library, then Library Setup... I happen to have mine in C:\data\DipTrace\Libraries\Components...
OK, I managed to find the component after a search through Windows search (I don't have luck with the DT search, usually.) . It was in a library that was named like a component ("PIC16F1765_P.eli") -OK that was my fault. I copied that into the Diptrace\Lib folder. That seemed to be the missing "Microchip Copy" library. I guess I need to understand the terminology like "Groups" vs. "Group Libraries." . To me, the interface is very non-intuitive. Otherwise I love the schematic and layout tools.

Thanks for your help.

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 22 Feb 2016, 12:34

I'm probably way off the mark here, but this is how I think the libraries are handled:
DipTrace has a library manager that features library groups for listing and providing access to components and patterns.
The following is a list of library group types and their functions…

Components Group
This group contains a list of the standard component libraries included with DipTrace. No modifications are allowed.

New Library Group
This group can be created by the user and given a unique name. It contains a user-defined list of component libraries and/or pattern libraries. Library locations can be specified by selecting the desired paths and/or folders. Any new library group created by the user can be deleted.

Patterns Group
This group contains a list of the standard pattern libraries included with DipTrace. No modifications are allowed.

Project Libraries Group
This group features an automatically-generated design cache that contains a list of all of the components and patterns used in the currently-open project. The group itself cannot be deleted, but its list can be modified. Libraries and their locations can be added/specified by selecting the desired paths and/or folders.

User Components Group
This group typically contains a list of custom component libraries. The group itself cannot be deleted, but its list can be modified. Library locations can be specified by selecting the desired paths and/or folders. As a precaution, store all custom component libraries in a directory separate from the default DipTrace directory. This will prevent them from being overwritten if DipTrace needs to be reinstalled.

User Patterns Group
This group typically contains a list of custom pattern libraries. The group itself cannot be deleted, but its list can be modified. Library locations can be specified by selecting the desired paths and/or folders. As a precaution, store all custom pattern libraries in a directory separate from the default DipTrace directory. This will prevent them from being overwritten if DipTrace needs to be reinstalled.
Last edited by Tomg on 26 Feb 2016, 02:50, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

jazzjohn

#8 Post by jazzjohn » 24 Feb 2016, 16:04

Thanks, Tom. That helps.

I am more comfortable when I can see file locations and names when navigating. Seems like DT shields us from that info. I'll eventually get used to it.