Problem renaming net port

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
gedaso

Problem renaming net port

#1 Post by gedaso » 06 Jul 2016, 23:09

I have placed a "VCC" net port in a schematic from the components... Net Ports library. I double-click on it and change it's name from "VCC" to "Vin". When I click ok I get a warning that "Net-port connection failed ! The following pin can not be found in some net-ports with such name Vin: "VCC"".

What am I doing wrong ? Is renaming net ports not possible ?

Techno Tronix

Re: Problem renaming net port

#2 Post by Techno Tronix » 07 Jul 2016, 01:45

Renaming net in net properties not always working.
See below discussion & correct if you are missing something.

http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9075

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 07 Jul 2016, 07:40

You are trying to rename the NetPort's pin instead of the entire NetPort. Mouse over the NetPort until it is completely highlighted (in my setup it turns blue). If you highlight only the NetPort's pin (pin turns red - left side of illustration), you can only change the pin name or the net name but not the NetPort name. So mouse over the NetPort until it is completely highlighted (see right side of illustration), double-click and do your thing (or right-click, select the name at the top of the pop-up menu, type in the new connector name and select OK)...

-- 07 Jul 2016, 14:32 --

Attachments
all.gif
all.gif (29.84 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Tom

gedaso

#4 Post by gedaso » 07 Jul 2016, 12:39

That process is exactly what I have been doing. It is when I try to rename the NetPort that the error occurs.
error1.png
error1.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
error2.png
error2.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
error3.png
error3.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 07 Jul 2016, 12:46

Hmmm. It worked for me. Which DipTrace version are you using? Which platform/OS? (I'm currently using v3.0.0.2 on Win10-64.)
Tom

gedaso

#6 Post by gedaso » 07 Jul 2016, 13:07

3.0.0.2, Win 10 x64.

Yes, it has worked for me before. I have just tried doing the same thing on some other schematics I had created before (including earlier versions of the one shown above), and no problems. Perhaps a bug, or corruption in my schematic file.

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 07 Jul 2016, 13:22

If it's any help, I get the same error message when trying to change the pin name using the right-click method. If I double-click on the pin and try to change the pin name in the alternate (double-click) menu, it just ignores the change and does not display an error message. Changing the NetPort name using the double-click method appears to work okay. I'll study this further tomorrow to see if I can spot an obvious failure commonality. The illustration below uses the right-click menus...

-- 08 Jul 2016, 10:33 --

I still can't get it to fail on my system. Does updating the NetPort in question (right-click on it and select Update from Library) fix the renaming problem?
Attachments
all.gif
all.gif (43.91 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#8 Post by Alex » 11 Jul 2016, 19:23

Netport connections work if netports have the same name and netport pins have the same name. Both conditions must be complied. The "Net-port connection failed ...." appears if second condition is not complied.

gedaso

#9 Post by gedaso » 12 Jul 2016, 00:06

Unfortunately I don't get consistent results. With a new, clean schematic, I was able to insert and rename a +5V NetPort (using any of the methods mentioned above) without having to rename the pin, without any error. On other existing schematic, I have also been able to rename a NetPort without having to rename the pin. On the particular schematic which gives me problems, renaming the pin and then renaming the netport still results in the error message. I'm calling it a bug and/or corrupted file.

matttay

#10 Post by matttay » 10 Mar 2018, 07:12

I just encountered this, and it's a difficult problem to track down. For future reference (especially my own), here's what seems to cause this error:

Netports must have the same NAME and PIN NAME to be connected. If netports share a name BUT the pin names on netports (with the same are different), then this error pops up. In my case, copying part of a schematic from an older schematic caused it. The new schematic had netports named DGND with pins named GND, and the copied schematics had netports named DGND with pins named DGND.

The easiest way to find this is to name the net that the netport is connected to, and then verify all the nets you expect "light up" when you hover over that net. If one net doesn't light up, or if the netport is connected to a net that doesn't share the name you expect, then that is your problem.

If you are encountering this error, it's a safe bet two things you think are connected probably aren't. Treat the error as serious.

Finally, this is, IMO, a bug. There is no reasonable reason I can think of for a netport to require matching names AND pin names in order to connect. The purpose of a netport is to tie two or more nets together based purely on netports sharing a name. That you'd ever want to have two netports share the same name BUT NOT be connected is a disaster waiting to happen.

What's especially insidious about this error is that it means SOMEWHERE IN YOUR DESIGN is a problem. But the error pops up anytime you connect a netport with a particular name IF any other netports with the same name have a different pin name. In other words, you think the error is something you just did, but it's not. It could be something you did long ago.