Update from Library

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
OldNortonBoy

Update from Library

#1 Post by OldNortonBoy » 21 Oct 2016, 23:22

Hi.

I have done some library changes in both Component Editor and Pattern Editor. However I can't seem to be able to update anything in Schematic & PCB.

Can somebody please explain the steps for me.

Thanks

Mike
Mike

Tomg
Expert

Re: Update from Library

#2 Post by Tomg » 22 Oct 2016, 02:06

Forward propagation in DipTrace is a completely manual process. The proper sequence in handling this process is Pattern > Component > Schematic > PCB. The first task in the forward propagation sequence (Pattern) involves making the necessary changes to the desired custom patterns and resaving the affected User Pattern libraries. The second task in the forward propagation sequence (Component) is to have any custom pattern changes adopted by the custom components that use them...

Updating custom components
1) Launch the Component Editor and select the User Components library group.
2) Click on the appropriate component library name to display its list of components.
3) Select the desired component. You should now see it being displayed in the Design Area.
4) In the Component Properties dialog box, click on the [Pattern...] button to bring up the Attached Pattern dialog window. In the Attached Pattern dialog window, the component should already be selected/highlighted in the list on the left side. If not, click on it to select/highlight it.
5) On the right side of the Attached Pattern dialog window, go to the Pattern Libraries drop-down list and select User Patterns.
6) In the User Patterns library list, select the name of the pattern library in which the component's pattern resides. Once selected, the name of the pattern should already be highlighted in the Patterns list.
7) Click on the pattern name to update the custom component with the newly-modified pattern.
8) Click on OK.
9) Back in the Component Editor window, click once more on the already-selected/highlighted component name. This is done as a precaution just in case DipTrace has not detected any changes.
10) Resave the component library (Ctrl + S).

The third task in the forward propagation sequence (Schematic) is to have the schematic adopt the component changes...

Updating the schematic
1) Launch the Schematic Editor and load the desired schematic.
2) Select/highlight the components that need to be updated.
3) Right-click on one of the selected/highlighted components, choose Update from Library in the pop-up menu and then click on Selected Parts in the fly-out menu.
4) Wait for the updating to complete, then resave the schematic (Ctrl + S).

The fourth and final task in the forward propagation sequence (PCB) is to have the PCB adopt the schematic changes...

Updating the PCB
1) Launch the PCB Layout editor and load the desired PCB.
2) In the Main Menu, click on File, choose Renew Layout from Schematic in the drop-down menu and then select By Components in the fly-out menu.
3) In the Open dialog window, select/highlight the related schematic file (*.dch) and click on the [Open] button.
4) Wait for the updating to complete, then resave the PCB (Ctrl + S).
Tom

john coloccia

#3 Post by john coloccia » 22 Oct 2016, 16:20

It helps if you think of the Component library as THE library, and think of the pattern library as simply a bunch of templates that can be copied into the component library when you "attach" a pattern. You're not really attaching it to a pattern. You're copying the pattern and that copy lives in the component library. The only real link is that the component library remembers where it happened to get the pattern from, but it never actually does anything with the information other than display it.

This can lead to some very strange results if you're not careful. For example, you could have 5 different components that all use the same exact pattern from the same exact library, and yet each one could actually have a different footprint when you place it on the PCB.

OldNortonBoy

#4 Post by OldNortonBoy » 23 Oct 2016, 02:22

Well once again, the boys came to the rescue, thanks guys.
Everything worked step by step.
My only problem came when I tried to update the PCB Layout. I found that it was because I had the components locked.
As soon as I unlocked and then selected them, I then did the update and up they came.

Thanks

Mike
Mike

robertbaer

#5 Post by robertbaer » 12 Jul 2017, 17:58

Tomg wrote:Forward propagation in DipTrace is a completely manual process. The proper sequence in handling this process is Pattern > Component > Schematic > PCB. The first task in the forward propagation sequence (Pattern) involves making the necessary changes to the desired custom patterns and resaving the affected User Pattern libraries. The second task in the forward propagation sequence (Component) is to have any custom pattern changes adopted by the custom components that use them...

Updating custom components
1) Launch the Component Editor and select the User Components library group.
2) Click on the appropriate component library name to display its list of components.
3) Select the desired component. You should now see it being displayed in the Design Area.
4) In the Component Properties dialog box, click on the [Pattern...] button to bring up the Attached Pattern dialog window. In the Attached Pattern dialog window, the component should already be selected/highlighted in the list on the left side. If not, click on it to select/highlight it.
5) On the right side of the Attached Pattern dialog window, go to the Pattern Libraries drop-down list and select User Patterns.
** EMPTY!
One should not see an empty pattern to begin with; the picture should not vaporize.
Somehow I was able to edit a pattern without jumping these hoops bu i do not remember exactly how.
I believe i as looking at my PCB layout, got the pattern to use in layout and did a non-reproducible (for me) edit (which destroyed the original, replacing that with the new).

If i could please get that scheme and reproduce it,i would be a very happy camper.
Not only that, PCB layout would be simpler and faster.

Thanks,
R. Baer

6) In the User Patterns library list, select the name of the pattern library in which the component's pattern resides. Once selected, the name of the pattern should already be highlighted in the Patterns list.
7) Click on the pattern name to update the custom component with the newly-modified pattern.
8) Click on OK.
9) Back in the Component Editor window, click once more on the already-selected/highlighted component name. This is done as a precaution just in case DipTrace has not detected any changes.
10) Resave the component library (Ctrl + S).

The third task in the forward propagation sequence (Schematic) is to have the schematic adopt the component changes...

Updating the schematic
1) Launch the Schematic Editor and load the desired schematic.
2) Select/highlight the components that need to be updated.
3) Right-click on one of the selected/highlighted components, choose Update from Library in the pop-up menu and then click on Selected Parts in the fly-out menu.
4) Wait for the updating to complete, then resave the schematic (Ctrl + S).

The fourth and final task in the forward propagation sequence (PCB) is to have the PCB adopt the schematic changes...

Updating the PCB
1) Launch the PCB Layout editor and load the desired PCB.
2) In the Main Menu, click on File, choose Renew Layout from Schematic in the drop-down menu and then select By Components in the fly-out menu.
3) In the Open dialog window, select/highlight the related schematic file (*.dch) and click on the [Open] button.
4) Wait for the updating to complete, then resave the PCB (Ctrl + S).