Align Component to Grid

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
mcrabill

Align Component to Grid

#1 Post by mcrabill » 14 Jun 2017, 02:38

Does DipTrace 2.4.0.2 Full Version have the ability to align a component with the grid similar to "snap to grid" feature found in other schematic capture programs? I have the grid displayed, but not able to align.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Align Component to Grid

#2 Post by Tomg » 14 Jun 2017, 22:39

The "Snap to Grid" function is not available in the Schematic Editor. When you create a component in the Component Editor it should have a pin pitch of 0.100" and all pins should be snapped to a 0.100" grid. Any component created in this manner will conveniently snap into position in the Schematic Editor during the placement process (or a "grab-and-move") when the grid is active and set to 0.100".
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 15 Jun 2017, 20:43

Snap to grid is not available in Schematic because all components always snap to the grid by the first pin.

ReverseEMF

#4 Post by ReverseEMF » 12 Feb 2019, 04:06

Yet, text objects DON'T automagically snap to the grid when moved. So, if you want to, for instance, align a label to a pin, on a generic terminal block, you have to do something like, set the Grid Size to a small value, then futts with the thing until it looks aligned. Nice would be if the center [or left most base line, etc.] of text were to snap to the grid. Then, I could at least get the alignment I want, with ease, in one dimension, then use Align Objects to align them in the other dimension.
If left to evolution, would this PCB ever design itself, and what would the lead time be on that?