Selecting multiple items based on their properties

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
tst

Selecting multiple items based on their properties

#1 Post by tst » 13 Jan 2018, 14:05

I have been using Diptrace for like 10 years but I have never been able to figure out how to select multiple items based on their properties without using Ctrl+mouse.

For example, at times I would like to hide the annoying Main Marking and Additional Marking for ONLY the GND symbols, while those marking for other components like resistors and capacitors should remain visible. For larger designs, using Ctrl+mouse to hunt for all GND symbols is frustrating, inefficient, and prone to mistakes.

This is only one of the many real life scenarios that I will need to select multiple components, nets, pins, etc. based on some of their properties. Is there another way to do this other then using Ctrl+mouse? Other threads addressing this issue seem to have never been answered. Why?

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Selecting multiple items based on their properties

#2 Post by Alex » 15 Jan 2018, 10:13

There is Edit->Edit Selection. You can select items by their type.
Besides edit selection, there is no way to select multiple items based on their properties. We will consider it for future versions.

tst

#3 Post by tst » 15 Jan 2018, 22:48

Thank you very much for your response, Alex. Diptrace is indeed a great tool I always recommend in my local forums.

The Edit->Edit Selection you have mentioned only offer a choice of some different objects which unfortunately is not very useful. In fact, the existing Edit->Find Object function is already very close to what we need. Either add a "Select" button in there to covert the result into selected objects, or simply select all objects in the result by default. It is just that simple!

Selecting multiple items is such a basic operation that I think it deserves a rather high priority on Diptrace development team's todo list rather then some fancy new features.

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 16 Jan 2018, 10:28

Thank you for the suggestion. I will add it to our feature list.