Can't delete hiercharchy block

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
paynterf@gmail.com

Can't delete hiercharchy block

#1 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 25 Mar 2018, 10:25

I'm trying to delete an unused hierarchy block from a multi-block schematic. It is no longer connected to anything, but it insists that it can't be deleted because another block is associated with it. For the life of me, I cannot see that there is any connection between the other block and this one.

I have tried deleting all the hierarchy connectors from either or both the problem blocks, but still no joy. I have tried removing all the components from the problem block, but it still insists there is another block associated with it, and refuses to delete.

Here's the error message
Window Capture.jpg
WTF, over?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Can't delete hiercharchy block

#2 Post by Tomg » 25 Mar 2018, 11:48

In the Design Manager on the right side of the screen, double-click on "Block2" to find out where it resides.
Tom

paynterf@gmail.com

#3 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 25 Mar 2018, 12:19

Tomg

Thanks for the quick response. I can find 'Block2' fine - it's just that there doesn't appear to be anything in Block2 that references the page I wish to delete, and the page I want to delete doesn't show up in the component list anywhere (not as a block or a component or anything). It's just an orphan module from a while back that I now wish to delete, but somehow it still thinks it is referenced elsewhere (it isn't)

Any other thoughts?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 26 Mar 2018, 06:45

Sorry for the delayed response; I was wrestling a large kitchen cabinet into place yesterday. The only thing I can think of (other than posting the schematic file here for everyone to examine) is to resave the schematic file under a new name, close and reopen DipTrace completely and then open the new schematic file to see if the problem goes away. It almost seems like a hierarchy tool bug that may have been carried over from a previous DipTrace version; either that or the schematic file was somehow corrupted. Just guessing here.
Tom

paynterf@gmail.com

#5 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 27 Mar 2018, 17:56

I tried saving the schematic to a different file, closing and then re-launching DipTrace, but that didn't affect the problem. Schematic file attached ;-)

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 27 Mar 2018, 19:56

Which page do you wish to delete? If it's hierarchy "Block2", that is the "IR Detector" hierarchy page. Its hierarchy block can be found in use on the Main schematic page. If that's the hierarchy block/page you wish to delete then...

1) Go to the Main schematic page, select/highlight the "IR Detector" hierarchy block (not its pins) and press the [Delete] key to get rid of it.
2) Clean up any unconnected wires and Netports that are left over.
3) Right-click on the "<IR Detector>" page tab and select Delete in the pop-up menu to bring up the Confirm dialog window.
4) In the Confirm dialog window click on the [Yes] button. This should delete the entire "IR Detector" hierarchy page
5) Resave the schematic (Ctrl + S).

If you actually wanted to get rid of a different page, let me know its name and I'll look into it for you.
Tom

paynterf@gmail.com

#7 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 27 Mar 2018, 20:12

I actually want to get rid of the 'Level Shifter' page, but when I try, I get an error saying it is referenced by 'Block2' (The IR Detector page)

TIA,

Frank

Tomg
Expert

#8 Post by Tomg » 27 Mar 2018, 20:35

1) Go to the Main schematic page, right-click on the "IR Detector" hierarchy block (not its pins) and select Disconnect Wires in the pop-up menu.
2) With the "IR Detector" hierarchy block still selected/highlighted, press the [Delete] key to get rid of it. Don't worry, this is only temporary. Don't do any cleaning up on the Main schematic page, yet.
3) Right-click on the "<Level Shifter>" page tab and select Delete in the pop-up menu to bring up the Confirm dialog window.
4) In the Confirm dialog window click on the [Yes] button. This should delete the entire "Level Shifter" hierarchy page.
5) Back on the Main schematic page, place a new "<IR Detector>" hierarchy block near the same location as the old one. Connect the pins manually to the remaining wires, being aware that the SDA and SDL pins will be swapped.
6) Clean up the wiring and reposition the new "<IR Detector>" hierarchy block as desired.
7) Resave the schematic (Ctrl + S).
Tom

paynterf@gmail.com

#9 Post by paynterf@gmail.com » 27 Mar 2018, 21:06

Tom,

Thanks - that trick worked great! So, what was causing the problem, anyway?

Frank

Tomg
Expert

#10 Post by Tomg » 28 Mar 2018, 05:33

I'm glad everything worked out. I don't know how it could have happened, but for some reason both hierarchy pages were tied to the same hierarchy block on the Main schematic page.
Tom