custom part with no refDes?

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
diptrace_nj

custom part with no refDes?

#1 Post by diptrace_nj » 19 Jun 2018, 17:56

Is their a way to design a part in component editor with no RefDes? In other words, I do not want it to have a part designation associated with it? Right now, I have to manually change the markings to 'none', each time I use it in schematic capture. I see a way to turn off RefDes in schematic capture, but I only want certain parts to have no RefDes (part numbers) when making a schematic. Thanks.

dtu2
Expert

Re: custom part with no refDes?

#2 Post by dtu2 » 21 Jun 2018, 11:44

Well, no 'official' way that I'm aware of but there is one way you *can* work around it. Keep in mind I'm not advocating this... it may or may not be acceptable to you. Desperate times...

1) Design your part in the 'Component' editor.
2) Set it's part type to 'Netport' (if you leave it as 'Normal' Diptrace will automatically tag it's part marking as 'Netport' for some unknown reason and show it when you place it on the schematic... bug maybe ?)
3) Leave the 'Name' and 'RefDes' fields empty.

Obviously the problem here is that these parts will not have a 'Name' in your library... the name will be blank.
If you only have one or two of these it shouldn't be too much of a problem but you probably wouldn't want very many of them.

If you do this I might suggest that you make two empty dummy components in your library just as placeholders and name them "---" or some other unique identifier (possibly even put them in their own library?). Then place your special components with blank names between those two empty components just so you can find them!
Jeff

diptrace_nj

Re: custom part with no refDes?

#3 Post by diptrace_nj » 22 Jun 2018, 15:24

Thanks for your reply, I discovered this myself too, and it is an acceptable solution. I put the custom part name directly above the blank spot in the library.