Adding Bypass Capacitors

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
arielberschadsky

Adding Bypass Capacitors

#1 Post by arielberschadsky » 18 Jul 2018, 02:09

What is the best way to draw a Diptrace schematic so that ICs are provided with bypass capacitors? I have nets for "Power" and "Ground," and would like to add a small bypass capacitor between each IC's Vcc pin and Ground. However, once I connect Vcc to the Power net, I am unable to attach the bypass capacitor.

I know that fine tuning of this must be done in the PCB Layout program, but I would at least like to get all the parts included in the schematic.

Thanks for any assistance.

dtu2
Expert

Re: Adding Bypass Capacitors

#2 Post by dtu2 » 18 Jul 2018, 10:07

There are several conventions. For example:
1) You can connect it right at the IC VCC pin if you have the room
2) If the IC is, for example, a dual op amp with VCC and VSS pins then a typical scenario is to draw the IC as three separate parts; A, B & C (C being only the power pins 4 & 8). This section then is typically located with other similar parts of other like components on the schematic either in the lower part of the schematic or on a separate sheet depending on how many of these your schematic contains.
bypass caps.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

dtu2
Expert

#3 Post by dtu2 » 18 Jul 2018, 18:17

arielberschadsky wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 02:09
What is the best way to draw a Diptrace schematic so that ICs are provided with bypass capacitors?
Here's a couple of more examples:
Bypass 3.png
Bypass 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 19 Jul 2018, 00:35

When you have a copper pour on top and bottom tied to the GND and Vcc the "bypass" cap seems kind of useless. With the Vcc pad directly connected to the power plain what good does a 100nf cap do? I just finished a board with three supplies, +5, +3.3, +3.8, the +3.3 was used the most so it was tied to the copper pour with +5 and 3.8 being routed with traces, those power nets allowed placing caps close to the power pads. If you were to change the pad's thermal setting Connect: from Pour to No then add a via and hand route to the pad you could add a cap to that trace. Is there something to read about this subject?

dtu2
Expert

#5 Post by dtu2 » 19 Jul 2018, 01:43

There are many opinions about this subject and much has been written about this.

My understanding is yes there will be some distributed capacitance, however, bypass caps directly at the VCC pins are still recommended to mitigate switching currents flowing through the power plane, noise and ground bounce. The more the better so a common and recommended approach is to have many bypass caps distributed around the plane to quiet and stabilize things. However, it's been shown that adding multiple values of caps can actually make things worse at certain frequencies.

Here's one place to start... I"ve got others as well:
https://interferencetechnology.com/elim ... ecoupling/#
Jeff