Crash error in Schematics ..

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
techy5025

Crash error in Schematics ..

#1 Post by techy5025 » 29 Jan 2019, 19:38

I am getting a consistent 00..0410E17 crash error in Schematics. I can bring up a schematic file and do nothing but wait and within a min or so the program will crash with this error. It seems to be related to using the "compare to Schematic" operation in the Layout program. I have both programs running and upon finding an error I fix it in schematics and save it to create a new netlist and try again. After several of these "fix" cycles, the program will start crashing and basically grinds operations to a halt.

Could this be related to a bad schematic file or ...? The file has about 850 holes.

Jim

novarm44
Technical Support

Re: Crash error in Schematics ..

#2 Post by novarm44 » 29 Jan 2019, 19:53

The known issue can be related to memory management in Win 9x/ME (in this case you should run programs separately and close Schematic when you open PCB).
However if you have Win 2000/XP/7/8 or 10, the reason is different: Could you please send the file to our support ticket system for verification.
The design size is not large for DipTrace - we test it on 10k+ holes.

techy5025

#3 Post by techy5025 » 29 Jan 2019, 20:34

The computer is running Windows 7 - 64 bit. I will send the schematic file to your support e-mail address.

Thanks

techy5025

#4 Post by techy5025 » 23 Mar 2019, 03:07

novarm44 wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 19:53
The known issue can be related to memory management in Win 9x/ME (in this case you should run programs separately and close Schematic when you open PCB).
However if you have Win 2000/XP/7/8 or 10, the reason is different: Could you please send the file to our support ticket system for verification.
The design size is not large for DipTrace - we test it on 10k+ holes.
I am still getting (many) 410E17 crash errors in Schematic. It seems to be worse if the Launcher is running and it is definitely worse with bigger files. Except for the normal programs that Windows 7 - 64 bit runs in the background, no other program is running (including other Diptrace programs). The file size I am editing now has 663 pads and is almost guaranteed to crash within a couple of minutes .... in fact it just crashed when I moved one part. I have uninstalled, re-down loaded Diptrace, and then reinstalled in the default location several times, but there is no improvement....still crashes. The problem is only with Schematics. Component editor, Layout editor, and Pattern editor do not crash...ever. The computer has 16GB of memory so I don't think that is the issue.

Sometimes I get a Window (program has stopped) message, but more often I get the 410E17 message...sometimes stacked on top of each other!

I have not received any kind of feedback to the file I sent to support with this issue before so I am lost on what to do.

Late Edit: I installed Diptrace on an HP laptop (problem computer is a desktop). It runs Windows 7 - 32 bit. I have not had a crash in a couple of hours using the same Schematic file as the desktop. I assume the Diptrace program installs 32 bit vs. 64 bit based on the operating system so I assume the install program installed the 64 bit version on the troubled desktop. Is there any way to tell which version was installed? The "about" in "Help" is not helpful. Maybe if I install the 32 bit program (if that is possible) on my desktop my problem will go away. 8-)

Thanks,

Jim

techy5025

#5 Post by techy5025 » 24 Mar 2019, 03:38

Fixed the problem! Uninstalled the 64 bit version of Diptrace and installed the 32 bit version on the desktop computer. No crashes in about 8 hours of usage. Something must be wrong with the 64 bit version .. at least for me.

Jim