Reference number .. renumbering

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
techy5025

Reference number .. renumbering

#1 Post by techy5025 » 29 Jan 2019, 14:18

I have an older PC board that I am trying to reproduce in Diptrace. I have no idea what software was used to do the original design, but I do have a copy of the schematic. So, I duplicated the original schematic in Diptrace schematic. For many reasons, I wanted to keep the original ref. designators the same. Assuming that I could change them when I finished entering the design, I let the software assign ref. des. automatically. However, changing them later was a pain because the automatic renumbering could not be turned off (at least I found no way to turn it off).

What I wound up doing was renumbering each type component starting with R1, C1, etc, getting a "renum" warning message, and repeating till all were renumbered. It seems to work because the software only seems to renumber upwards and doesn't wrap. Many renumbers, but the end result was what I wanted.

So, is this the only way to do this, is there another way, or is there a way to stop the renumbering? I have other boards to do and this would be helpful.

Jim

Serg
Technical Support

Re: Reference number .. renumbering

#2 Post by Serg » 30 Jan 2019, 04:03

You can use "RefDes Renumbering" from context menu of selected component.
In this case there is the option to renumber the current RefDes only.

DevilMKD

#3 Post by DevilMKD » 01 Feb 2019, 04:49

When I have a larger design where I need to have the exact same refdes as the original design I usually go to the renumbering menu and in the field marked as " First Index" I add a larger number (usually 100)
So the refdes will change from R1 to R100 or C10 to C101) and then you can start renumbering the parts to your original design
PCB designs and Product development are my everyday life.

techy5025

#4 Post by techy5025 » 03 Feb 2019, 09:38

DevilMKD .. Thanks! I will use that on my next board. In may case, it will have to be start at 200.