Compare to schematic question and...

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
techy5025

Compare to schematic question and...

#1 Post by techy5025 » 03 Feb 2019, 10:05

I have completed a design using the schematic and layout programs. "Electrical rule check" and "Check design rules" no errors. "Compare to schematic" and "check net connectivity" show no errors, but I know that the net names connecting the same parts are different. So the question is ... does the software check connections by reference designator and pin numbers only and ignore the net names? I know that reversing a resistor .. which electrically will make no difference .. will throw an error.

The second question. Even though it passes all the tests .. as above .. when I use "renew layout from schematic" it drags several parts ( several ASIC's) out of the layout with rat lines to the right of the board outline. No rat lines before. Seems it thinks they haven't been placed or were placed incorrectly.

The schematic program has been crashing a lot so this may have something to do with it.

Thanks .. Jim

KevinA

Re: Compare to schematic question and...

#2 Post by KevinA » 03 Feb 2019, 14:26

What is your environment? Computer CPU/OS/Version/build, Displaycard/ display size, Version number of DipTrace and version type, PCB layers, units, number of components... Check that DRC is actually enabled:Verification/Design make sure the Check Clearances/Check Sizes/Enable Real-time DRC are checked, click the Options TAB and check what you have set to be checked! I was exporting a board to Gerber this morning and DipTrace told me I was nuts! Seems I had turned most of the DRC (all really) off, somehow, sometime, so not only were there issues, I had the power and gnd tied together but nothing was showing up when I ran DRC.... :o The power and GND issues was a pad thermal setting, I selected by Layer and had selected the wrong layer. You shouldn't be "crashing" from running DT, if you are you should get that fixed before spending too much times fighting hardware issues .

FYI: OSHPark.com has to have the file layers named as they suggest now, check File Naming Patterns. They no longer appear to work with the default DipTrace layer extensions.

tomthumbblues

Re: Compare to schematic question and...

#3 Post by tomthumbblues » 12 Jul 2023, 21:39

As a further query on Comparing Schematic Net connections to PCB Net Connections. It would truly simplify comparing schem nets to pcb nets if Diptrace software allowed for a complete compilation list showing all circuit nets and each net component connections as a viewable on screen list and also available for print out. This then would make it easy to tick off side by side on 2 separate pieces of paper each net component as they match against each other in both Schematic and PCB.

As it stands the only on screen viewing for nets in both the Schematic and PCB are in the small bottom right corner view panel that will only display one net at a time, and if it is wanted to compile a list of these nets, then each one needs a screen shot taken on every individual net display then compiled to a single page manually for a full page view on all nets pertaining, this is very time consuming. And since there seems so much confusion getting all components and all things matching correctly in the on board "Compare to Schematic" command, then I usually find it much easier to get a page list of these nets side by side and easily then checked against each other, just would make it easier on myself and possibly others also.
Maybe Diptrace people could look into it. Cheers :P