Rename net ports

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
Fatov

Rename net ports

#1 Post by Fatov » 15 Feb 2019, 22:59

Hello, I'd like to know how I can rename net ports. E.g. like in the picture below I want to rename the net ports "Source" to "5.0V" without having to rename every single net port manually. Is there a way that if I rename a net port all other net ports with the same name will also be renamed?
Test.png
Test.png (26.34 KiB) Viewed 699 times

farley

Re: Rename net ports

#2 Post by farley » 16 Feb 2019, 01:44

1. Select all of the components/symbols you want to change (rename).
2. While hovering over one of the selected symbols, right click and select "Replace Part..." from the context menu.
3. Select the new part (port) in the pop-up window.
4. At the bottom of that window select "Selected Components" in the drop down selector.
5. Click the "OK" button.

Fatov

#3 Post by Fatov » 17 Feb 2019, 01:20

Hello, thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, this is not exactly what I wanted. I didn't want to replace the ports with others, I wanted to change the name. Although I can select all ports I want to rename as described above and then only need to change the name once, I have a large schematic and selecting all ports of a name is very time-consuming and error-prone. You can quickly forget one.

Is there really no way to rename all ports with the same name?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 17 Feb 2019, 01:46

1) Right-click on one of the Net Ports to be renamed and select "Replace Part..." in the pop-up menu to bring up the Replace Part dialog window.
2) In the Replace Part dialog window find and select/highlight a Net Port with the desired name, choose "Similar Name Components" in the Apply to: drop-down list and click on OK.
Tom

Fatov

#5 Post by Fatov » 24 Feb 2019, 02:25

I'm sorry, but that's still not what I wanted. With this method I would have to create a new component for each port name. Let me explain again what I would like to do. Suppose I have the following components:
pic_2.png
pic_2.png (9.75 KiB) Viewed 673 times
And the following schematic:
pic_1.png
pic_1.png (70.97 KiB) Viewed 673 times
As you can see I didn't replace the components but just changed the name. As mentioned above, I want to know how to change the name from "SPI_SCK" to "SPI8_SCLK" without having to select all ports with the name "SPI_SCK". I hope it is now clear what I want to do exactly.

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 24 Feb 2019, 03:35

I don't see a user-friendly way of doing that. Perhaps the folks at Novarm could add more options to the Edit Selection tool to make it easier to select/highlight all identically-named net ports? Consider suggesting this in the Feature Request forum.

There is a workaround, but it involves exporting the schematic file as a DipTrace ASCII file. After the DipTrace ASCII file is generated, use a decent text editor on it to perform a "Search & Replace All" of the desired net port name; e.g. replace "+3V3" with "+3V0". This should change all instances in the Part and Name lines. Resave the ASCII file then import it back into the schematic editor as a new schematic. Ensure that things haven't gone haywire and resave the schematic. As a precaution you might want to run the Renew Layout from Schematic tool on the original PCB layout.

Note: Before trying the above workaround, back up your schematic with a slightly different name.
Tom

b_force

#7 Post by b_force » 26 Feb 2019, 11:17

Essentially this is the same issue as this feature request;
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12769

In summary, Diptrace is just lacking any kind of abilities to multi replace or rename any kind of parts

madscientist

#8 Post by madscientist » 06 Mar 2019, 01:01

I agree, its a area ( multiple section and associated group action) where Diptrace is lacking

I use the program regularly and I like teh speed with which I can do many things , but at times its very frustrating to do what seems simple enough tasks

The lack of push and shove is unfortunate too