IC layouts

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
scfaria

IC layouts

#1 Post by scfaria » 21 May 2021, 04:31

Attached are two different IC layouts that I put on a schematic. One, IC1, has the layout of the physical IC, the other one, IC2, has just a portion of the inside circuit of an IC with several gates. How do I put in the 3 other, unseen, gates with the pin numbers and why are there different versions of these ICs? Copying and pasting the IC2.1 gate section into the schematic only copies the gate section with the same pin numbers. There are 4 gates in reality (IC2.1, IC2.2, IC2.3 & IC2.4). One IC is a 74HC14 and the other one is a 74HC86. Both are 14 pin ICs with a standard layout, but they show up very differently when put on the schematic from the library. More importantly, if I do use these two versions of the ICs from the library, how will the PCB layout be affected when I try to wire the parts together?
scf
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (4.83 KiB) Viewed 251 times

Alex
Technical Support

Re: IC layouts

#2 Post by Alex » 23 May 2021, 22:12

Sometimes and often it is convenient to place different parts of multi-part component to different areas on schematic. Therefore many components with identical parts were created as multi-part components.
When you select such component from "Place Component" panel, you can choose either "All Parts" or exact part to place below the list of components.
For PCB Layout, it doesn't matter how components are look on the schematic.