74HC14 IC pinout

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
scfaria

74HC14 IC pinout

#1 Post by scfaria » 21 May 2021, 08:46

When I open the Texas Instrument SN74HC14 IC from the library I get U1 and U1.1, a gate with pins 1 & 2. The power supply is OK, but this IC has 6 gates, not 1! When I copy and paste the U1.1 icon to get U1.2 through U1.6, no problem. However the copies are U2 etc. and they all have the same pinouts. I can go into the properties dialog and change U2 to U1 so I end up with U1.1 - U1.6, but they all have the same pinouts, 1 & 2, which is no good. So going into the properties dialog for one of the copies and select 'attached pattern' option to change the pin numbering, I can see the changes to the pinouts from the gate to the IC layout. So this looks OK. When I try to save the pinout change for the original U1.1, there is no problem. But when I try to do the same thing for any of the copies, no matter what I change the pinouts to in the 'attached pattern' dialog, the changes always get applied to the original U1.1 not the gate that I am trying to alter the pin numbers! Does anyone know how to make this IC from the library show all it's gates with the proper pinouts so I can use this to make a PCB with this IC?
syd
Attachments
SN74HC14N.PNG
SN74HC14N.PNG (7.29 KiB) Viewed 407 times

scfaria

Re: 74HC14 IC pinout

#2 Post by scfaria » 24 May 2021, 02:13

problem solved - once the IC is put on the schematic you cannot select all the part, that has to be done before installing anything

Tomg
Expert

Re: 74HC14 IC pinout

#3 Post by Tomg » 24 May 2021, 03:23

If a part of the component is missing (e.g. "Part 2") select "Part 2", click on the component name again and place the part into the schematic. DipTrace will give you the first missing part for any similar component that has the lowest primary reference designator. You will notice that no matter which missing part is selected first, DipTrace will still give you the first missing part in the sequence. You will also find that there is no way to specify for which similar component you would like to place the missing part. It will always start with any similar component that is missing that part and has the lowest primary reference designator.

I prefer the way EAGLE handled this by allowing the user to, if I remember correctly, right-click on the component and choose to "Invoke" any missing part from a list for that particular component. The DipTrace solution is incomplete, confusing, buggy and not user-friendly.
Tom