Update Component in schematic capture

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
jom

Update Component in schematic capture

#1 Post by jom » 11 Jul 2021, 05:47

Hello

I was wondering if there is a convenient way of doing an Update on symbols in the schematic capture. Presently I use both Diptrace libraries and my own. Mine is located on my hard drive but if that library file moves the Update cannot find it. What is recommended to fix something like this? This can be a serious problem since many of my symbols are in my own library which cannot be move or I'd have to edit EVERY symbol in EVERY schematic. Same goes for the patterns that are attached to the symbols.

It just seems to be a bad idea of having a fixed hard place to store the ".eli" files so I'm not sure how to fix this potential problem.

jom

Tomg
Expert

Re: Update Component in schematic capture

#2 Post by Tomg » 11 Jul 2021, 10:32

I don't know if this helps, but take a look just in case - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13998&p=30409
Tom

jom

#3 Post by jom » 11 Jul 2021, 13:20

This might be a good solution. Thanks for that!

jom

jom

#4 Post by jom » 13 Jul 2021, 08:58

OK, here's another problem. Let's say I have a schematic that has four resistors SMT 0402. Each are different values and I have properties of "Supplier" and "Manufacturer" in which I've added part numbers etc. into each component.

Now I found out that the pad pattern is incorrect. So I change the 0402 pattern and I update the component editor for the 0402 resistor to update the attached pattern. Now when I update the component in the schematic all of the part number data disappears. I could swear this didn't happen with earlier versions of Diptrace. What do I do about this?

Any ideas would be apprecaited.

Thanks

jom

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 14 Jul 2021, 01:27

"Update from Library" from component submenu and "Update Component" in component properties keep all data in standard and additional fields. But "Replace Part" wipes custom data in all fields because the component is replaced completely. What function did you use?

jom

#6 Post by jom » 14 Jul 2021, 06:59

Hello

I used "Update Component".

After more digging and testing I noted that if your part in the Library (as edited in Component Editor) has text in a field it WILL over-write using Update Component. If the field is blank it will not over-write. For example, in the Component Editor if your port has "Digikey" in a Supplier property when you Update Component in the schematic it will over-write what you had in the Supplier property with "Digikey". If it is left blank in the Component Editor it will not over-write. Another words it will not clear the property. NOTE: The Supplier property is one I added myself to the Component in the Library.

It turns out I usually enter the data into properties at the schematic level so this isn't a problem as long as there is no data entered into Component properties....or at the very least data that won't need to be changed.

Does all of this make sense? You did state "Update Component" keeps the properties. However, it does NOT in my case as I've stated.

jom

Edit: OK, this isn't entirely true. The "Update Component" will delete data in the Manufacturer property. I suspect this is not supposed to be that way but there it is. My work-around is to create my own added "Manufacturer" property since it doesn't seem to delete the data there.

Alex
Technical Support

#7 Post by Alex » 14 Jul 2021, 20:41

I think the update feature works right. It doesn't wipe existing data in component properties in schematic if the same fields in component library are empty. But it updates fields from library if there is discrepancy between schematic and library.

jom

#8 Post by jom » 15 Jul 2021, 06:50

Maybe but if you use the given Manufacturer property at the schematic it will clear it when you Update. So I just created my own Manufacturer property and use that...that one will not over-write if the property at the component is blank. Why the built-in one does work the same way is odd.

Thanks

jom

jom

#9 Post by jom » 03 Feb 2022, 06:47

OK, another question:

How do you change a value in a field (say, the Value field) on multiple components in your schematic? I could swear there was an "Apply To 'Selected Components'" option. Did this go away on a later version of the software?

As of right now the only component that changes is the other you right-click on even though multiple components are selected.

Thanks

jom

Tomg
Expert

#10 Post by Tomg » 03 Feb 2022, 09:32

1) Select/highlight the desired components, right-click on one of them and choose "Properties..." in the context menu to bring up the "Component Properties" dialog window.
2) In the "Component Properties" dialog window under the [Parameters] tab change the "Value:" and click on the [OK] button.
The values of all selected components should change accordingly.
Tom