Update Component in schematic capture

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
jom

Re: Update Component in schematic capture

#11 Post by jom » 04 Feb 2022, 13:21

Tomg thanks for that.

It seems I chose an incorrect example using the "value" field. I see that the "value" parameter will change on all selected. However, if I wanted to update which library (top right above "Update Component") it links to it will not update all selected parts. Only the part you right click on. This makes it difficult to update library since you have to select and update EACH component separately. True?

jom

Tomg
Expert

Re: Update Component in schematic capture

#12 Post by Tomg » 04 Feb 2022, 15:53

True.
The following procedure shows a roundabout way to do it, but first back up the original schematic before trying it out (just in case things go awry).

1) In the main menu of the open schematic click on File > Export > DipTrace ASCII... and save to a convenient location such as the desktop.
2) Edit the new ASCII file using a competent text editor, perform a bulk "search and replace" with the case sensitive option enabled to change all instances of the unwanted library path to the new library path, and make sure to resave as an ASCII file.
3) Returning to the main menu of the schematic click on File > Import > DipTrace ASCII... to bring up the "Open" dialog window.
4) In the "Open" dialog window find/select/highlight the modified ASCII file and click on the [Open] button to bring in the changes. (At this point, all of the components with the old, unwanted library file path should now be sporting the new library file path.)
5) If you are satisfied with the results, resave the schematic.
Tom