Feedback Ver 4.2.0.1 net pins

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
CraigS

Feedback Ver 4.2.0.1 net pins

#1 Post by CraigS » 22 Dec 2021, 15:38

Feedback DT 4.2.0.1 {Connecting nets by name (ie no wires) }

Previously I always used flat schematics, connecting most devices via "net name" without wires. Short stubs of wire are added to the component pin then the wire's net property is set to the desired net, with Connect Nets by Name" checked. While not ideal it worked well except for a lot of clicks and the need to add the 1" stub of wire. Also "Connect Nets by Name" was not always selected and had to be checked.

To reassign pin to a different net I would under the wire stub properties check "Rename Related Wires Only" and type in the new net name, only the stub would get renamed and connected to the new net. The rest of the components on the net would remain unchanged.

**> This is now broken "Rename Related Wires Only" doesn't work and all instances of the old net get renamed, not just the desired stub. Only solution is to delete the stub and start over with a new net name.

In the new version I discovered "net pins" and I really like it. No more adding a stub of net, then naming it. I still think there is a need for connecting nets by name without wires. You may want to have a group of pins connected together in one part of the schematic with wires and a second group on the same or different page connecting the two groups together "without wires" by net name. You should be able to change either group's net name assignment without changing the one. ie. "related wires only"

To assign a pin to an existing or new net use the right click context menue item "Add to Net" and select the desired net from the drop down list, this works great. To add new net to the list click the + and type in the name of the new net. The pin assignment to a net may be deleted by using "Delete from Net".

**> The check box Connect without Wire doesn't seem to do anything and I can see no reason for its function. If so, you should remove it to save confusion, "Net Pins" should always imply connect without wires.

**> Missing is the ability to change the pin's net assignemt without altering the rest of the net connections. Add to the context menu "Reassign Net" or "Change to Net" This would not change the name of the existing net just that pin and could be an existing or net net.

**> Missing is the ability to adjust the font of the Net Name attached to the pin its too small and hard to see. A global setting would be nice.

**> Feature request: The ability to bulk edit net names in something like notepad++ or built in similar tool. While doing a design with a number of LED display drivers all with 16 outputs connected to nets named DS0_a ... DS0_r for the first display and DS7_a ... DS7_r for the last digit it would be nice to add the "net pin" nets to the first driver then copy and past that part 7 more times. Finally selecting the copied parts and text editing all the net names in one shot with find/replace, changing all the net name 0's in the second driver to 1's etc. This would also be useful for large connectors or headers where one needed to rearrange the pin to net assignment. Textual editing is much preferred over graphical mouse clicks for these types of changes.

**> Feature reqest: Similar to the above, the ability to bulk edit the entire part-pin to net name structure. I want to change all nets named Clksomething to Clock_Something or globally fix a net name spelling error. Also, some times net names are in the form of mynet1 .. mynet18 but need to be reindexed to 0 as mynet0 ... mynet17 all done easly in a text editor. I realize this can be dangerous if you screw it up but that is what design snapshots and undo are for.

Thanks Craig