Fanout and test pin pads for nailbed fixture

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
Kraig K

Fanout and test pin pads for nailbed fixture

#1 Post by Kraig K » 14 Sep 2010, 08:41

On my board layout, I took some of my device pins out to vias so I can attach a wire for testing purposes. I don't have anything on the schematic so if I do Update From Schematic, these usually disappear. Also if I check Net Connectivity, they are not found of course. Should I make a "component" for this or?

Second thing, somewhat related. I need to adds pads to the bottom of my board to mate up with an existing nailbed test fixture. Should I add something to the schematic or just add them to the layout. I would almost like to make one pattern with all the pads and position it but then the traces aren't really connected.

Just wondering how people do these things so I don't waste time.

tinker1

Re: Fanout and test pin pads for nailbed fixture

#2 Post by tinker1 » 14 Sep 2010, 10:50

Making two components would be a very good idea. It should save time in the long run.

Kraig K

#3 Post by Kraig K » 14 Sep 2010, 10:57

I have two single pin patterns now and I am attaching that to the schematic. That works fine. So If I have let's say 10 nailbed pins and I make that into one big pattern, how would I connect that to the schematic? Oh wait, maybe I could make a "connector" of sorts and attach each pin to the TestPin pad (that's what I'm calling it), well off to try that...

tinker1

#4 Post by tinker1 » 14 Sep 2010, 12:53

In the tutorial, it tells how to make a component with a single pattern, but with the elements separable on the schematic. I made connector patterns this way. It is really a nice deal. When you put the component onto the schematic, the pieces come down in line. Then you can drag and even rotate the individual contacts on the schematic.

I forget the term for this feature at the moment. If you have trouble finding that part of the tutorial, post back.

edit: OK.... found a note I made that may help:
Multipart component -- separate pieces on schematic for single part.

Alex
Technical Support

#5 Post by Alex » 15 Sep 2010, 09:14

Hi,
If one added pads on a board for test points of similar purposes, renew design from schematic does not remove pads from the board.