Display more than two component attributes

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
grieblm

Display more than two component attributes

#1 Post by grieblm » 12 Dec 2011, 10:29

Perhaps it's not obvious but I thought it was possible to display more than two component attributes on the schematic. It is possible now to define new attributes -- which is great -- but how do I display extra attributes? For example: If I want to display the component reference, part type, and a new field like voltage, how would this be done?

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Display more than two component attributes

#2 Post by Alex » 13 Dec 2011, 09:38

It is not possible to show 3 and more markings now. The only way to get round is placing text with additional field.

grieblm

#3 Post by grieblm » 14 Dec 2011, 16:29

I'm not sure I understand how I would "place text with additional field"?

KOBE_13

#4 Post by KOBE_13 » 14 Dec 2011, 19:27

Hit the "ABC" button, this allows u to place text. Be sure u know what layer your on though. Most likely you will be on top layer. I would use the top assy layer or silkscreeen

grieblm

#5 Post by grieblm » 20 Dec 2011, 13:05

KOBE_13 wrote:Hit the "ABC" button, this allows u to place text. Be sure u know what layer your on though. Most likely you will be on top layer. I would use the top assy layer or silkscreeen
But I was asking about schematic attributes. This is the schematic editor topic?

K3PTO

#6 Post by K3PTO » 20 Dec 2011, 16:31

The schematic editor has an "ABC" button as well. Probably the next to last one on the right of the tool bar.

Alex
Technical Support

#7 Post by Alex » 21 Dec 2011, 07:50

The "ABC" button is present in Schematic editor as well if you didn't hide elements panel. Press F4 hot key to show it in that case.

bruhnstv

#8 Post by bruhnstv » 10 Jan 2012, 15:26

Alex wrote:It is not possible to show 3 and more markings now. The only way to get round is placing text with additional field.
Thanks for the clear answer, Alex. It saves me from searching for something I think I'm just missing. However, I would encourage you to increase the number of things that can be displayed. Three may be enough, but occasionally I'd like more. For me, the typical important three are reference designator, value and part number, for things like resistors and capacitors. For ICs, reference designator, manufacturer's part number, and in-house part number would be useful.

While I'm on the topic, it would also be useful if I could select the default displayed fields on a component-by-component basis. That is, for resistors and capacitors, I need to display the value; for ICs and the like, I don't need to display the value, but rather the part number. I'd just as soon NOT put the manufacturer's part number into the "value" field, since parts like resistors and capacitors have both a manufacturer's part number AND a value; the value is commonly embedded in the part number, but not in an easy-to-read uniform fashion.

Cheers,
Tom

Alex
Technical Support

#9 Post by Alex » 11 Jan 2012, 10:10

We considered showing more than two parameters. This option has not implemented yet, but it is in the list of features. Further suggestion about default fields for each kind of components is reasonable too, I will add it tho the list. Thanks.

w1res

#10 Post by w1res » 04 Feb 2012, 22:08

This would greatly benefit me too. At work (where we use a different product) we usually have listed the part name, value, and designator. A capacitor is an example of this.

The other problem is that I know under view you can change what is visible, but I always need a reference designator to show. But then for a resistor I need the value, and for an IC I need the part number. Right now the only way I see of going around this is to manually adjust what is visible on each part, but this is pretty tedious!