Headers?

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
g4edg

Headers?

#1 Post by g4edg » 30 Dec 2012, 09:34

I would like to use various sizes of SIP 0.1" headers on my finished board, but cannot find them in the Schematic Capture.

I have found "Headers" in "Pattern Editor" and this folder contains all the headers I want to use, and can isolate just the SIP 0.1" headers and make my own new folder.

This is saved as a .lib file, but it appears Schematic Capture is looking for a .eli file

Using Component Editor I can find no header library.

I must be doing something wrong at a very basic level!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

John77

Re: Headers?

#2 Post by John77 » 30 Dec 2012, 12:57

One easy way is to open the Component Editor, open the Con_Sch library and select ConnM or ConnF, and copy it.
Make your own library, and paste the ConnM or ConnF in required multiples and re-number the pins. You can then make any combination, and then assign the pattern from the header file you mentioned eralier

Regards
John

g4edg

#3 Post by g4edg » 01 Jan 2013, 11:04

Thanks John

Got the headers sorted out now, thanks for your advice.

Bit of a struggle, but once understood, quite logical!

Regards

Steve

-- 01 Jan 2013, 15:05 --

Thanks John

Got the headers sorted out now, thanks for your advice.

Bit of a struggle, but once understood, quite logical!

Regards

Steve

bruhnstv

#4 Post by bruhnstv » 03 Jan 2013, 20:19

Something else you may not know about: if you find a pattern you want to use, to see if there is already a component that uses it, do the following:

Open the Component Editor. In the Component menu, select "Search in Libraries..." In the search box that comes up, put in the exact pattern name you want to find in the Pattern: entry box; leave the other blank. Select "All Libraries" to search in. Click "Find Now" at the bottom. For example, I just searched for HDR-2x10 and found that (in my system) it's used in one component, TSS_VERT_2X10, and when I click on that part in the list (that could have more entries, if the same pattern is used in other components too), it tells me that it's in library Samtec. I suspect it's a part I created, so you may not find it in your system. But in general, you can use this method to see if there's a component already built with that footprint.

If there isn't, but you can find another connector with the schematic symbol you want to use, you can clone that connector in the component editor and change the assigned pattern to the one you want to use. You can also pick a schematic symbol that's close to what you want, if you can't find one exactly like you want, and modify it as well as changing the associated pattern. You can put your new component in whatever library you want: you might do well to create your own library, though, so that if you update your DIPTRACE installation, you won't wipe out your new part. Anyway, when you open a library (or create a new library) in the component editor, you can import a part from another library (and then work on that copy).

There's a bit of a learning curve to the component and pattern editors, but I haven't found it to be too bad, and once you become comfortable with them, you can pretty easily tailor parts to be just what you want/need in a short time.
Cheers,
Tom