Oddly-shaped holes and pads

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
mgriebling

Oddly-shaped holes and pads

#1 Post by mgriebling » 13 Mar 2019, 09:17

Hi,

I'm trying to produce the following footprint for a USB-C connector and am not sure how to make the right-angled pads and elliptical holes.
Can anyone help? Currently I'm cheating on the pads and holes and just overlaying two of them. Of course, DipTrace doesn't like this.
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 09.12.17.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KevinA

Re: Oddly-shaped holes and pads

#2 Post by KevinA » 13 Mar 2019, 22:45

Where is the data.pdf for the part?

mgriebling

#3 Post by mgriebling » 14 Mar 2019, 11:06

I've attached the data sheet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KevinA

#4 Post by KevinA » 14 Mar 2019, 15:25

Mouser has that part and a link to the manufactures site where they provide the 3D and pattern, the pattern has issues: 1. The hole for the mounting pins isn't a hole 2. The copper around the thru-hole pins is wrong 3. The slotted holes are not slotted 4. the SMT pads are round dots! The 3D drawing is nice, three colors but when imported you have to fight it into place, seems the person that did the pads and the 3D image never talked about where 0,0,0 was to be. For this pattern I will use and external CAD program since I have never learned how to draw by x,y points. Looks like 5 amps for a C type with $1.85 per at Mouser.
cu1.jpg
the pad off to the side was what DT can produce

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 14 Mar 2019, 18:06

1) Not too keen on the 0.15mm gap between the surface mount pads (A1~A12), but that's what the CUI documentation calls out. Some board houses state a minimum gap requirement of 0.2mm. You might try reducing the width of the surface mount pads from 0.35mm to 0.30mm in order to attain a 0.2mm gap, but that may adversely affect the strength of the mechanical connections.
2) DipTrace will complain about drill gap violations when you overlay those horizontal and vertical oval through-hole pads. I'm guessing most board houses would mill the slots anyway so maybe that won't matter. Ask them if it's okay before submitting your files and make sure they know that those oddball holes need to be plated.
3) Going by the supplied STEP file, the rear pins come to rest on the surface mount pads before the rest of the connector lands on the PCB.

Is there is another company offering a USB-C connector with a friendlier pin/pad layout?

UPDATE: It looks like I used the wrong connector. Here is a correction to the post above...
The pad gaps on the correct connector can be changed to 0.2mm while remaining within CUI specifications. It appears that both alignment holes for the two pegs can be the normal round type (when compared to the related STEP file, the oval shape of the alignment hole on the right side is unnecessary)...
PE.gif
3D.gif
3D_bottom.gif
Last edited by Tomg on 15 Mar 2019, 11:13, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

KevinA

#6 Post by KevinA » 14 Mar 2019, 21:05

I found that by deleting the L shaped pads off the pattern, build them on the PCB then place a ratline between each pair, no errors. The 1.5mm gap is on the round pads they used, strange stuff, I am sending out a test PCB, at that size it's only $3 to get 3 built